PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Hose

Rob Littleton
06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Anyone know where I can get a custom dryer hose made.

Here's the deal......It has to be rectangular.

Obviously the outlet vent and the back of the dryer aree round but I need to get this dryer closer back to the wall so I can close the darn door :-)

Cheers

Rob Russell
06-06-2004, 7:39 AM
Since dryer hose is only 4", are you thinking of a rectangular piece that's shallower than 4"?

If you are, I wouldn't. The corners of the rectangular vent will fill with lint and restrict your air flow.

Options to consider:

Some dryers have a side vent exit option. Look at yours to see if there is a 4" round knockout on the side of your dryer base.
Use a piece of 4" flex to transition to 4" pipe. The 4" flex should allow you to make a tight 90 (not good, but IMO better than rectagular) to straight pipe.
Put the pipe in the wall. Means sheetrock work, but then your dryer can go tighter to the wall. That's what I did in our new laundry room.

Rob

Peter Stahl
06-06-2004, 9:18 AM
Most dryers can be converted to go out the sides, is this a option?

Pete

Dan Mages
06-06-2004, 9:31 AM
Check at the Orange Borg. They sell low profile telescoping dryer vent kits. It has a 4" round connection followed by a 90 degree turn to a section of rectangular piping. it then goes to another 90 degree bend so it can connect to a 4" pipe in the wall. The unit is in two pieces so it can telescope to the size you need.

Dan

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-06-2004, 9:56 AM
I don't have anything of value to add to this thread...but I have a buddy who is finishing up a house. He's using the stackable washer/dryer, and putting it in a walled-in cavity that's probably 32" wide...probably fit in there sweet. But the dryer is on top, and the vent is at the bottom of the wall. Oops!

I have plenty of trouble getting the hose right on a standard dryer, and I only have a rise of 3 or 4 inches...and I have 4' to the right side of the dryer so theoretically, I can get back there and have room to 'work'.

It's also occurred to me that it's gonna be no treat when he's hooking up the water lines to the washer...and especially the drain hose. Probably gonna have to use 6' hoses just to be able to get it far enough out of the cavity to get around it to hook them up...then 60" of it's gonna be looped around and in the way of the dryer vent that he won't be able to get to anyway.

I'm gonna make a point to be there on installation day. :-)

KC

Rob Littleton
06-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks Guys....

Side exit isnt an option on this model......

The vent is in the wall but comes down to the corner of the laundry room. The dryer I got has a vent in the center at the back.

I'll check out that telescopic option or just live with it.

Of course, I can live with it, SWMBO cant...........go figure

Ken Garlock
06-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Check at the Orange Borg. They sell low profile telescoping dryer vent kits. It has a 4" round connection followed by a 90 degree turn to a section of rectangular piping. it then goes to another 90 degree bend so it can connect to a 4" pipe in the wall. The unit is in two pieces so it can telescope to the size you need.

Dan

YES, they work like a champ :) Not bad to install if you can stand on your head. I have to lean over the top of the dryer and reach way down the back to fit it into the dryer outlet. My vent would work itself loose from vibration at the dryer end. A wedge of 3/4 MDF between the vent rectangle and the wall fixed that....

Rob Littleton
06-06-2004, 6:09 PM
I went to the borg and couldn't find even a space where these things live.

I looked at Home Hellhole web site and couldn't find it :-(

Anyone have a location I can order it from.

fanx

Jim Becker
06-06-2004, 6:49 PM
Rob, they are usually right next to the regular duct work at the 'borg with the rest of the dryer accomodations.

Dan Mages
06-06-2004, 6:53 PM
YES, they work like a champ :) Not bad to install if you can stand on your head. I have to lean over the top of the dryer and reach way down the back to fit it into the dryer outlet. My vent would work itself loose from vibration at the dryer end. A wedge of 3/4 MDF between the vent rectangle and the wall fixed that....

A nice band clamp, a 1/8 inch sheet metal screw, and some duct ta[e will also keep it in place. ;)

Dan

Dan Mages
06-06-2004, 7:01 PM
I went to the borg and couldn't find even a space where these things live.

I looked at Home Hellhole web site and couldn't find it :-(

Anyone have a location I can order it from.

fanx

That is one of the things I hate about Home Depot and the one thing I like about their pro book. It has just about everything and pictures to boot. I take the book with me and tell the numbnut that is working the department "I need this!" If the numbnut says, "Gem, I don't THINK we carry that." I tell the numbnut that thinking does not count and ask him to check the computer for inventory. If I am in a real rush, I will call them before I head over and ask for one to be held at the service desk.

You need to ask for a Periscope Vent SKU 102021 for 18-29 inch length or SKU 102049 for 29-50 inch length.

Dan

Ken Garlock
06-06-2004, 8:34 PM
A nice band clamp, a 1/8 inch sheet metal screw, and some duct ta[e will also keep it in place. ;)

Dan

Dan, if I had room to get to it that is exactly what I would do. The units are a Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer, and they are tightly placed in the corner of the utility room, setting on a 6 inch platform. To put the screws in would require taking the dryer down off the platform to access the connection point. I think I will stick with the MDF for a while. :)