PDA

View Full Version : my jet 1442 will not start

Dave Vollmer
11-25-2008, 6:13 PM
while turning bowl #2 this afternoon, I shut down the lathe to check my progress as I was almost finished with the outside of the bowl and flipped the switch on and no power up. I checked the switch without unplugging the leads and had 120vac going to the switch but nothing going out to the motor when I turned the switch on. but when I pulled the motor leads and checked again I have 120vac going in and 76vac going out to the motor. does this sound like the switch is bad or one or both of the caps. help! I got Christmas gifts to finish.

Dave

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2008, 7:32 PM
Dave - Welcome to the Creek! Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your lathe - but that happens from time to time!

Couple of questions for you: With everything hooked back up - when you turn on the lathe - is there any sound, ie motor hum, click, anything?

Next thing: To check your on/off switch - with power applied, you should have E applied (voltage applied) across the switch when it is in the off position and you should read '0' (zero) volts when the switch is in the On position. What are your actual readings taken across the power switch? Make sure everything is hooked up like normal first - you want the load.

Get back to us with what you find and we'll see if we can figure something out for you.

Bill Bolen
11-25-2008, 7:42 PM
that happened to me last year on my 1442. Made all the checks I could think of and the test light showed the switch was good and power to the motor. I called jet and they sent me to to a local source for repair. When I picked it up he said it was the switch and gave me the old one.It was ok now because he blew all the dust out of it and it worked again. Boy did I feel dumb. Quit again last week so I pulled the switch and just sucked it out with the shop vac and off to the races again...Hope you are going again soon...Bill...

Dave Vollmer
11-26-2008, 8:18 AM
Steve, I double checked everything no clicking, humming etc. power to the switch.

Bill, WOW! I would have never thought blowing out or vacuuming out the switch would solve my problem! I sure did!

Thank you both for helping out.

Dave