PDA

View Full Version : Edgebander Gloat

Matt Meiser
11-25-2008, 3:38 PM
I picked this up off Craigslist at lunch today. It looks practically new other than some dust. I've never thought the cost was justfiable for me since they are about $250 new and I've seen a few go for $150 used on here. But for $75, I couldn't pass it up.

Plus, now I can give my shop iron to my wife for Christmas. She was just saying she needed a new one. :rolleyes::eek::D

Rod Sheridan
11-25-2008, 4:03 PM
Matt, only give your wife an iron for Christmas if you're wearing a motorcycle helmet....LOL

Please let us know how well the edgebander works...Rod.

Jim Becker
11-25-2008, 4:18 PM
I recently got one of those, too, Matt and I really like it. Congrats!

John Lucas
11-25-2008, 4:40 PM
Matt,
That is a nice add for the shop. The hard part for me, is to find a location to store it in between jobs. If there is a trick to using it, it is in the "cooling" area. Look at the metal outfeed fence. It is the most important part of the operation. Once you get the edging started, place most of your pressure against the surface of the work as it goes along this outfeed fence. Here's why: the hot blower really does a great job of heating the glue. And it is very moveable as you come away from the heater. It needs pressure along the outfeed fence to cool the glue fast enough before it leaves the fence. It serves as a heat sink. You can experiment but you will see that if you get the edging cooled by the time it leaves the fence, moving the edging is not possible...and that is good. Also, get your self some long tweezers to hlep you "fairlead" the next tape end onto a new board. Stay away from that heater...it is HOT.
Also, dont give the portable iron away. t will always be useful.

Jim Becker
11-25-2008, 9:15 PM
The hard part for me, is to find a location to store it in between jobs.

Me, too...it's the only real issue I have with it!

Dave Verstraete
11-25-2008, 9:21 PM
Matt
Great find! I just tried edge banding with a spare iron. It was easy except I needed a third hand.