PDA

View Full Version : Opinion and Where to for stove top

Craig D Peltier
11-25-2008, 3:14 PM
Hi we are looking into getting our downdraft stovetop refinished. Its worn on the paint an the knobs are old and need updating.
Does anyone know if theres companies that will refinish the top ?
Also could I just use BBQ paint for it, the burner an downdraft grates only, the ones in pictures that look like there worn. BBQ paint says its good till 1000 degrees.

Im also looking for a place ot buy replacement knobs?

replacing a downdraft gas top stove is over 2k just for stove.

Lee Schierer
11-25-2008, 3:27 PM
Most appliance stores have replacement knobs, but you will ned to take yours along to insure the new ones will fit.

Barbque paint may be rated for 1000 degrees but your gas flaes will be much hotter than that. Most stove cook tops are baked enamel or ceramic coatings.

Your stove manufacturer might offer a replacement part, but for that stove, it might cost as much as a new one.

Ben Franz
11-25-2008, 5:05 PM
You might try looking in the yellow pages under appliance refinishing or painting. There are companies that repaint refrigerators - they might do stoves too. BTW $2000 seems like a lot for a gas cooktop - many models have compatible downdraft units. Might be worth a little time shopping to see if replacement is feasible.

Craig D Peltier
11-26-2008, 9:28 AM
You might try looking in the yellow pages under appliance refinishing or painting. There are companies that repaint refrigerators - they might do stoves too. BTW $2000 seems like a lot for a gas cooktop - many models have compatible downdraft units. Might be worth a little time shopping to see if replacement is feasible.

I did research on 30-36 inch gas, counter top, with downdrafts stoves a few months ago and the best i could find I think was 1800.I think we were looking at black or stainless.

I will look into yellow pages.

Thanks

Ben Franz
11-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Craig-

I'm not questioning your previous research. I've done a lot of kitchen remodels over the last 20 years and spent time in appliance stores. Last I looked, very high end pseudo-restaurant style cooktops (Thermador, etc.) were starting around $2K. The flat residential style tops that were downdraft compatible were less but maybe in the $1500-$2000 range once the downdraft unit was included. I also found that I got better pricing and service from professional appliance dealers rather than appliance stores that are mass market oriented (usually indicated by massive ad spending). Anyway, seems like a large metro area like yours would probably have a selection of dealers that might give you some more options. Good luck and Happy TD!