PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade question

Jeff Dunlap
11-25-2008, 1:42 PM
I recently purchased a G0555X bandsaw from grizzly, after setting the saw up i realized that the blade that comes with the saw is pretty much junk, so i just orderd myself a timberwolf 3/8 6 PC. The saw says it accepts blades from 92.5 to 93.5, so i order a 93. My question is, is there reason to order to smallest size it can handle, i assume you can add more tension. In the middle as i did, because i didn't know any better or the largest size, becasue timberwolf blades are designrd to ran with less tension then normal baldes, acording to their website? Or does it not matter altogether as long as you are in the size range?
Thanks to any who helps

Pete Bradley
11-25-2008, 4:01 PM
Tension is independent of band length (unless the tensioner hits the stops which you don't want under any circumstances). More tension is not necessarily better. Your 93" band should be fine.

6TPI is a little fine but should be ok for relatively thin material (say around 2" or less). A good all-around band from Suffolk is the 3/8X4PC, with a 1/2"X3 for resaw and/or logs.

Pete

Andy Pratt
12-02-2008, 12:27 AM
I would definitely make sure to pick a size you can purchase all of your future blades in. I didn't do this (bought one blade 1/2" longer than another from a different company), they both fit but I'm constantly cranking away at the tensioning adjustment whenever I have to change blades to keep the proper tension on each one, pretty annoying.

Andy

Perry Underwood
12-02-2008, 6:19 AM
A blade length of 93.5 is pretty much the standard size for 14 inch band saws. However, there are exceptions. My 14 inch saw takes 92.5.

The advantage of having the capability of using 93.5 is being able to buy your blades locally and not have to special order them.