PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer and adhesives

Philip Florio
11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
My question is when I use spray on lacquers should I cover up the bare wood in cavities that will be used with epoxies and silicone sealants?

The cavities in mind for epoxies are brass barrel hinges, brass feet and securing plastic bottles for a salt & pepper shaker. For the silicone sealant, glass tubes in a vase.

In the past I stuffed some paper in the cavity for barrel hinges. I'm figuring if I could seal the cavities with the lacquer it would be better to fully seal the wood.

I use 1 coat of sander sealer followed by 4 to 5 coats. The finishes I use are satin, semi gloss & gloss.

Thanks,
Phil

Lee Schierer
11-25-2008, 12:47 PM
In general glue surfaces should not be finished. SOme adhesives will not adhere to lacquer, particularly the brushing lacquers that also contain wax. I would recommend plugging the holes. Plastic straws slit length wise and rolled tight can be used to fill smaller holes. Once they are in the hole they will unroll and fit tight up to nearly the original diameter of the straw. Leave a 1/4" or so sticking out for ease of removal.