PDA

View Full Version : What is Behlen Woodturner's Finish made of?!

Brian Goulet
11-25-2008, 8:44 AM
I've been using Behlen Woodturner's Finish for a while, and I was just wondering what it actually is....lacquer? Shellac? I'm not exactly sure.

Mike Lipke
11-25-2008, 8:59 AM
I've heard it is a mixture of shellac, wax, and alcohol.

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2008, 10:54 AM
It is a shellac based finish and is frictioned on.

Brian Goulet
11-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I've been pretty happy with it...basically I put it on and let it dry on its own, not using any friction. Is it better to friction dry, or to switch to something lacquer based for a high sheen? I'm using it for pens, so durability is a consideration for me.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Brian,

IMHO ....any friction polish...shellac based.......great for things not being handled regularly but not really that durable. The great thing about frictioning is when it comes off the lathe...it's done....

Lacquer is again...IMHO...... more durable and I fricition it....again....but...I wait for it to start to set up before I friction it.

The neat thing about both of the above...the next coat dissolves and adds to the previous coat.......you are not layering so you don't have to worry about sanding through a previous coat..unless ,of course, you sand through the whole thing...:o

Scott Conners
11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
One of the most popular pens finishes these days is CA (cyanoacrylate - super glue). It's wiped on with little mess, cures very quickly, and is extremely hard and durable. If you search the forum or google for "ca finish" you'll find a bunch of good articles and advice on how to use CA to get a great finish.