PDA

View Full Version : Help! Electrical Question

Pete Janke
11-25-2008, 1:08 AM
The remote controlled Hampton Bay ceiling fan in my teenage son's room apparently has had no light bulbs in it for maybe years. He recently told my wife he had seen sparks at one time. The light sockets looked fine to me. No burn marks. I put light bulbs in the sockets and the lights lit as I screwed them in. The remote control dims and brightens the lights, but won't shut them off. I have a similar fan in another room. I reprogrammed the remote to work the other fan and it does dim as well as turn off and on the lights of the other fan. I took the light module off, followed by the fan housing. All the wiring appeared normal. The fan is hardwired and is not connected to a separate light switch. This fan model is operated by the remote only, no chains to pull. Went to Home Depot and they don't have a light kit for this approximately 13 year old ceiling fan.

What's keeping the lights from turning completely off? What should it do?

Lee Schierer
11-25-2008, 12:15 PM
It sounds like the control m,odule has failed. Getting a new one may or may not be possible. Google is your friend. Do search or contact the manufacturer. Other wise, instal a light switch and turn the lights and the fan off/on by the switch and use the remote to control light level and speeds.

Steven DeMars
11-26-2008, 1:54 PM
At the price of a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan, I would discard it and confirm that the power to and switching leads were still good . . . .

My rule is simple, if there is a doubt as to a fixtures "safety", out it goes . . .

Don Bullock
11-26-2008, 3:55 PM
I'm with Steven on this one. Electrical problems are one of the biggest reasons houses catch on fire. Over the years I've learned it's better to change out a questionable light rather than try to fix it. This time of year you should be able to get a "good deal" on a new ceiling fan.

AL Ursich
11-26-2008, 4:24 PM
The sparks that were seen are a red flag to me. A wire could have had the insulation worn causing the light on off Transistor, Triac or SCR to experience a short. The Semiconductor devices either short or open when they fail. Your on off component is shorted. The Dimmer is the next set of Semiconductors down the line and are working.

I go with the replace the unit before a fire has you replacing the house. The Fire inspector and Insurance company will say.... "And you knew the light was faulty HOW long ago?...."

Don't discount the fact that you posted this question on the WEB... Worst possible case is your house does burn down and a Private Investigator working for the insurance company looking for a reason to NOT pay you will find this post....

Goggle your name and find how QUICK your Sawmill posts show up...

Good Luck,

Change the fan, light AND wall switch. Better yet hire a licensed Electrician..... I lived in San Diego for 13 years and saw a few law related things involving homes and electrical wiring. I was fine but my friends were not.... They saved the homeowner money until something happened and a home burned and the investigators said "And you had who? doing wiring in your house".... Un licensed....

Some kids hit the lottery when a Soccer Mom driving other kids home got into an accident and her Hubby replaced the brakes.... Error on the side of Caution.

AL

We are no longer Alone on the web....

Sonny Edmonds
11-26-2008, 4:47 PM
Well, it begs the question, "What had he been smokin?" :D

Seriously, just replace it. Lots of really nice replacements available, and they aren't hard to put up.
If you want, put it in your shop or in the porch and just use it to move air. :rolleyes: