PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Column

Dennis Fitch
11-24-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a Delta bench top drill press. I've mounted it on the top of a steel filing cabinet/drawer combo with wheels. All well and good. However, I would like the drill press to have about 8" more of column. This would put it at a better height for me and allow me to handle some deeper/thicker pieces.

Any suggestions on getting a slightly longer column?

Randal Stevenson
11-25-2008, 4:07 AM
Several suggestions.
First one, build a taller stand (simplest and cheapest, not a smart axx comment).
Secondly, keep your eyes out for a used floor model. You didn't state the diameter of the pipe, but I talked to a friend when I wanted to make my Atlas into a floor model and he stated the columns are hot rolled (verses cold rolled) and it would cost me more then finding a good used floor model.
Third. Try Ebay and owwm.org as you might get lucky and find the right diameter and length. After I found a floor model Atlas, a column and larger base, that would have allowed me to convert mine (same quill depth between the floor and table top model), popped up on Ebay.
Fourth. Can you flip the entire head around, and use the drill part off the back of your existing cabinet (adding a flip up table to the back of its stand)?

Charles Wiggins
11-25-2008, 9:47 AM
I have a Delta bench top drill press. I've mounted it on the top of a steel filing cabinet/drawer combo with wheels. All well and good. However, I would like the drill press to have about 8" more of column. This would put it at a better height for me and allow me to handle some deeper/thicker pieces.

Any suggestions on getting a slightly longer column?

Echoing what Randall said, if the DP head will pivot, I would either add to your existing stand or built a taller stand, and add an adjustable auxiliary table to the side or back of your stand.

Before I moved, I had a small basement shop, and that was my plan. I wanted the benchtop model on a stand so I could use the stand for precious storage, but I wanted a taller option for the rare occasion that I needed the clearance.

If space isn't an issue, just save up and get a good floor model. You generally get a lot more bang for your buck in power and accuracy. Most benchtop models just don't compare.