PDA

View Full Version : Prepare a new Jointer?

Brian Triplett
06-05-2004, 6:11 PM
Hi,
I have a new jointer coming :D and I was wondering what do you use to de-grease new machines and also what do you put on the unpainted pieces ie the tables? Thanks for the help.

Brian

PS before you ask, it is a Delta Model 37-275X, I was going to go w/Sunhill but they had no idea when they were going to get the next shippment in, same goes for Grizzly. But with the deals on Amazon, -$50, free shipping, and free mobil base the price equaled out.

Steve Hooper
06-05-2004, 6:15 PM
Brian:

I just installed a new powermatic this week. Mineral spirits and a soft cloth worked fine to clean all the grease.

Steve

Dean Baumgartner
06-05-2004, 7:12 PM
Mineral spirits or denatured alcohol to clean followed right after by 3 coats of Johnson's Paste Wax to protect and give a nice slip to the top.

Dean

Rich Konopka
06-05-2004, 7:37 PM
Hi Brian:

I just used some wd-40 to clean up my Delta DJ-20. Worked like a charm!! Good luck with your new jointer.

Brian Hale
06-05-2004, 7:53 PM
Windex works great! Don't Forget The Wax! Those tables will rust from just your fingerprints.

Brian :)

Jim Becker
06-05-2004, 9:04 PM
Windex works great! Don't Forget The Wax! Those tables will rust from just your fingerprints.
Don't forget, Brian, that Windex is largely water. It's fine to clean the painted surfaces, but not the best thing to expose the cast iron to. I generally use minteral spirits for cleaning both, keeping in mind that MS will remove wax...so it needs to be re-applied afterward.

John Miliunas
06-05-2004, 9:18 PM
My non-toxic approach to cleaning that gunk is "Simple Green". Bio-degradable, eco-friendly and does a pretty kick-butt job on the stuff! :D Definitely follow with a couple/three coats of wax afterward as recommended by the rest of the guys. BTW, congrats on your new toyl! :D :cool:

Chris Padilla
06-07-2004, 12:30 AM
I use the stuff with orange in it...Goo Gone. Works fabby. :)

Brian Triplett
06-07-2004, 7:52 AM
Thanks for all the feed back. I can always count on this board to give good advice because of experience not just theory. Thanks again.

Brian

Kent Cori
06-07-2004, 9:47 AM
Brian,

You'll find mineral spirits work fine and it's inexpensive. If the wax doesn't prevent the rust where you live, Boeshield T-9 definitely will. I use it on all my cast iron and steel surfaces here in hot, humid Florida. I then add a coat of wax over it simply to provide a slicker surface. The wax alone has never performed very well for me. I find rust starting to form within a few days of application. In less humid environments, however, paste wax alone appears to work fine given all the reports from our fellow SMCers.

Chris Padilla
06-07-2004, 9:59 AM
Kent,

I went ahead and used the Rust Free on my TS top, then I used the T-9 (both from Boeshield). I was impatient to let the T-9 dry so I wiped it lightly. I have a can of Slip-It (NOT good for rust protection) which then went over whatever was left of the T-9 (hopefully some!?). Wonderfully slick stuff.