PDA

View Full Version : Not quite yet!

Michael Gibbons
11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I went the Woodworks ww'ing show in Novi Mi this past weekend and finally gazed upon my dream lathe-the ONEWAY 2436. OMG!!! I showed it to SWMBO and the look said it all UUUHHH..................NO!. The puppy eyes and the quivering lip let me down ..AGAIN. I need more practice.:(

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Michael - I feel for ya man! But keep practicing - you'll get there!!!

Larry Marley
11-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Michael,
You need to interject compliments with with word lathe into your conversations.
"This is the best meat loaf ever, Lathe!"
"Honey, are you loosing weight?,,Lathe"
"I think I will get started on the yard lathe work"

I honestly used this when on the hunt for my first lathe.
It didn't get her to associate good things with "Lathe", but we did reach agreement that I would stop saying Lathe if I could have one for Christmas. :rolleyes:

robert hainstock
11-25-2008, 8:12 AM
You laid the foundation footings, now it is one block ar a time to compleation. Start saving a little money, and as others have said keep up the pressure in a GENTLE way. Good luck! :eek::)
Bob

Cyril Griesbach
11-25-2008, 9:14 AM
Just go buy it. It's easier to beg forgiveness than get permission. It is, however, grossly over priced.

steve mcconnell
11-25-2008, 9:15 AM
I agree with Larry, you must overwhelm with persistence.

Took me about 4 months of "If I had a lathe, I could be making the holiday presents" and "If I had a lathe, I wouldn't be going out drinking with the boys" and "if I had a lathe, I could be rubbing your feet now" etc etc etc ad nausem.

I must say, I was annoying myself there for a while too, but it finally paid off when she snuck the Jet Mini into my shop for my birthday. Now that being said, you are going to have to work a LOT longer and harder than 4 months...

good luck :)

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree with the above. I kept saying the same thing. She would say something about a birthday or Christmas present. I would come back ya know if I had that Nova lathe I could sure make some great presents. After about 5 months she said lets go get it. So once you do that remember that she will say so and so has a birthday you need to go make something nice. You had better do it.:eek::D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I recommend those "pro-model" hard knee pads with the cushioned liner. You get on your knees while wearing them and you follow her through the house while she's doing what ever she's doing. You keep this up for 10 days or so. She'll finally get tired of tripping over you body and she'll cave in......BTW...it's called grovelling!:D

After 40 years I'm quite skilled at it!:o