PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple

Paul Bauders
11-24-2008, 9:13 PM
After hanging around for a while this is my first post. I thought this was to good to save for myself. I know the turnings are average but what is neat about this post in the wood. Last summer this was clear Maple trimmed out of a tree next to my house. Over the winter I found a receipe and some information on line on how to spalt wood. I mixed up some wood chips, yeast and water and placed the mix around some of the logs in plastic bags and put them behind my garage for the summer. This fall I got them out cleaned one up let it dry some and when these were turned I think the wood looks as good as any that has came from the forest floor. What do you think?

Dewey Torres
11-24-2008, 9:15 PM
Holy cow Batman... that looks great!

BIG FAN OF SPALTED MAPLE:D

Don Carter
11-24-2008, 9:26 PM
Paul:
They look great! Welcome to the world of spinny things. Love that wood.
All the best.

Don

Jon Lanier
11-24-2008, 9:36 PM
Those look really neat. :)

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Welcome to SMC. Good looking project with some great looking maple.

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Paul - Welcome to posting on the Creek! Looks like everything worked with your spalting recipe! Beautiful wood! Hope you have lots more to play with! Very nice candle holders! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Jim Becker
11-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Very nice use of that spalted material...attractive and interesting for the use, too!

Fred Krueger
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
The spalting is great! How did you do it?

Bill Bolen
11-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Welcome Paul! You will find a lot of good folks to shoot the breeze with here. The spalting looks great. No overly soft spots I guess?...Bill..

Paul Bauders
11-25-2008, 7:05 PM
Thats what was so nice about the wood. There was no soft spots like you find in wood from the forest floor. I only had the wood in the mix and bags for about 6 months.