PDA

View Full Version : Veneering question

Tom Ruflin
11-24-2008, 7:18 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I will start here. The attached picture is a dashboard for a Jaguar XK120 (I believe that's the model) that has been restored by a professional. A friend of mine is restoring one and asked if I could put new walnut burl veneer on the pieces which are in bad shape. My question is, how would you get the veneer to bend around the bevels for the instruments and the edges? I have a vacuum bag setup but have little experience using it (lots of projects and little time). The top piece comes off so the panel with the instrument holes is flat except for the bevels. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brad Shipton
11-24-2008, 7:34 PM
Is this related to the post on the Woodweb in the Veneer section? This exact question was posted there a few weeks ago.

Brad

James Porter
11-24-2008, 7:35 PM
I believe that Jaguar used Amboyna burl not walnut. as far as how to do it i have no clue

Jamie Buxton
11-24-2008, 7:58 PM
With a vacuum press, you can get veneer to roll around a corner like the vertical one at the right of the picture. You just let the pressure of the bag bend the veneer. Using a veneer-softening liquid helps -- y'know, the one with glycerine in it.

However, I don't know of a way to get veneer to cover the inside of the round instrument holes. It would have to stretch to do that. The piece looks like it was made from solid lumber.

Many years ago I built a new dash panel for an XK120. The owner gave me the old one as a template. I don't know if the old one was authentic or not. However, it had burl veneer on the face, and it did not extend into the holes. The inside edges of those holes were painted a medium brown, about the same color as the veneer. So when I made the new one, that's what I did.

Tom Ruflin
11-24-2008, 9:52 PM
Brad, this post is not related but I will go over to woodweb and check it out.

James, thanks for the info on the wood type.

Jamie, thanks for the info. The trim pieces that go around the windows only have the veneer on the face and not on the bevels which makes me think that the instrument bevels do not have veener as you stated.

The piece in the pic amy be solid wood, I think the guy who does them charges around $2,800.00 for a finished set! Looks like alot of coats of rubbed out lacquer.

John Lucas
11-25-2008, 6:21 AM
Darryl Kiel, pres of Vacuum Veeneering Systems has a videotape on veneering curves and one demonstration is rolling veneer over a round table. You should get the video...it is worth it for any and all veneering tasks.
http://www.vacupress.com/videos.htm