PDA

View Full Version : blades for planer

Mike Stanton
06-05-2004, 12:28 PM
:D i went to an Industrial carbide tooling yesterday and asked them to price making carbite blades for my dewalt 735 planer.They are going to call the first of the week with prices. Mike

Bruce Page
06-05-2004, 1:05 PM
Mike, they ain't going to be cheap! :eek: :eek:

Keep us informed

Dan Smith
06-07-2004, 8:07 AM
Mike,

Any news on price yet?

Thanks,

-dan

Mike Stanton
06-07-2004, 4:46 PM
I called the carbite people today. 300 a set for carbitefor my dewalt 735. So much for that idea. They are checking on price for steel 1/8 that can be sharpened. Mike

Bruce Page
06-07-2004, 6:01 PM
Yup, I knew they'd be a bit rich. Carbide as a material alone is expensive. Machining is done with diamond tooling. Add the two together and you have high dollar.

I'm surprised that he could do it for only $300.

Jim Becker
06-07-2004, 6:06 PM
They are checking on price for steel 1/8 that can be sharpened. Mike
Mike, keep in mind that the DW735 was designed for non-sharpenable knives and the indexing system makes it nearly impossible to adjust them should you go that route. (Same goes for the Delta 22-560/565/580 and I believe, DW734) The disposables, since they are double sided, are not much more expensive, if at all, than knives that can be sharpened, especially since it's not something you can do yourself all that easily without special equipment. You cannot have any variation on the edge across the entire width--they need to be "exact".

Byron Trantham
06-07-2004, 10:35 PM
MIke, I've owned the 12 1/2" Delta and now the 13" DeWalt both of which use replaceable, double edged blades. They're just too cheap to worry about. You get two passes with each set. I think the 13" will last even longer since it has three blades instead of the two on the Delta. BTW, when I flip them over, I mark them with black felt tipped pen so I don't have to wonder later, "Have I already flipped them over?" :confused:

Mark Singer
06-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Carbide does not give as good of a cut....its brittle....HSS is better in a planer.

Chris Padilla
06-08-2004, 10:35 AM
My understanding: Carbide's sharpeness will last longer than HSS's sharpness BUT, one cannot get Carbide as sharp as HSS. Carbide also is more brittle than HSS as Mark pointed out.

So a long chunk of carbide in a planer probably won't do well. Now if that carbide is put on a spiral cutterhead (or a Shelix like Byrd designs) in the form of squares, it will probably work very, very well.