PDA

View Full Version : Not everything is laser engraveable!!

mike klein
11-24-2008, 2:16 PM
I you ever have the opportunity to engrave the boy scout chrome Fleur-De-Lis, don't do it. I had a customer bring this over the other day and from what I was told it could be lasered...WRONG!!

It didn't laser the text to bad, I think I could probably re-do it with no problem, but the residue that the cermark left behind will not come off. I've tried every chemical immagineable that I have here and nothing will remove it.

Joe Pelonio
11-24-2008, 2:35 PM
Ouch, that's terrible, thanks for being the Guinea pig!

mike klein
11-24-2008, 2:44 PM
I just got off the phone with a tech. from the Ferro, who makes cermark, and he did say that its the cheap grade of chrome plating that was applied the reason the residue was left. He did recommed using some jewelry cleaner which may work. I've pretty much written this one off and already have a new plaque coming, I just have to figure out how to engrave it.

I know I can diamond cut it but my thoughts were the engraving is not going to show up very well against the chrome plaque. I also thought of maybe just applying some vinyl text to the plaque. I don't know yet, have to see what the cusomers input is.

Joe Pelonio
11-24-2008, 2:56 PM
As long as you have the bad one to experiment on, maybe try spraying the text area with a good black paint. Then using low power that won't etch the finish engrave off all but the letters (file with black background slightly larger than the painted area, white letters).

mike klein
11-24-2008, 3:11 PM
I have some of the cermark spray also and I put that on the text, engraved it again and it turned out perfect...and no residue left behind. The only thing I don't like about the spray can and that is the engraving is not a black as the brush on cermark. I do a lot of stainless steel and notice the brush on gives a darker engraving than the spray.

Anyway, the residue is not coming off this one so I might as well use it for experimenting.

Frank Corker
11-24-2008, 9:40 PM
Sorry about that one Mike, but at least you didn't have to hand that one over and say, "hey what do you think? huh? huh?

Did you try using methylated spirit on it? That stuff works wonders on it's own and it's what I use to do cermark on.

mike klein
11-24-2008, 9:44 PM
Can't say as I have tried that one Frank. I used some pretty potent cleaning products here today and none of them would remove the residue.

Mike

Stephen Beckham
11-24-2008, 9:57 PM
Mike - I haven't tried it yet, but the Cermark tape is supposed to only leave marking where the laser hits it when the tape is removed?!?!? :o

mike klein
11-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Stephen,

I've heard that to but have never tried the tape. I have some of the spray cermark here and tried that and it don't leave any residue behind, washes off clean.

Mike

Joe Pelonio
11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I found that the tape gave inconsistent results, sort of spotty print.

Martin Boekers
11-25-2008, 2:46 PM
Did The Cermark guy give you any thoughts on how to tell cheap plating from good (besides using their tape)

Marty

mike klein
11-26-2008, 8:09 AM
Did The Cermark guy give you any thoughts on how to tell cheap plating from good (besides using their tape)

Marty

Trial and Error
and when you find one that works well, stay with it.

Mark Winlund
11-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I have had very inconsistant results as well. Quite often, the Cermark leaves a dark stain where ever it is applied. It is un-removeable. One trick that has worked for me is this: Tape your item onto a jig (anything that will precisely locate your item) back where it was on the table. Then, using clear lacquer, (or almost any type of spray paint) engrave through the coating. Remove the part from your machine (while still attached to the jig), and coat the engraved lettering with Cermark. Put the item back into the machine, and re-engrave using Cermark settings. Usually, it works well. I have used this method to mark mild steel tools and not leave stains.

Cermark is kind of a gamble. It is wildly variable due to material, coating thickness, cleanliness of the substrate, phases of the moon, and just ordinary cussedness. I do not generally engrave high value items with it unless the customer understands that it may not work.

Mark

Gary Bernat
04-04-2009, 2:50 AM
FiberMark baby..
Works great...

Frank Corker
04-04-2009, 6:25 AM
FiberMark baby..
Works great...

When this was posted in November 2008 I don't think there was a fibermark around

Mike Null
04-04-2009, 6:31 AM
Mike

If it's a cheap grade of chrome plating I'd also be skeptical about diamond dragging it for fear of chipping.