PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question - Delta Planer

Shawn Honeychurch
11-24-2008, 1:11 PM
I just got a Delta TP400LS (I think it's the same as the 22-560) planer yesterday from a retired wood worker, it's in almost new shape and cuts beautifully.

My question is, are these planers supposed to feed the wood themselves? I was under the impression that the rollers were motorized but I have to put a fair bit of muscle into moving the wood through it. Taking a very, very shallow cut and still have to push the wood.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Shawn

CPeter James
11-24-2008, 1:17 PM
First, I would suspect that the knives are dull. This is a classic cause of having to push or pull the boards through. Second, use plenty of past wax on the tables to lubricate the surface. I will make a huge difference and does not affect any future finishing. I use Johnson's Past wax and lather it on liberally and don't wipe it off.

CPeter

Shawn Honeychurch
11-24-2008, 1:49 PM
Thanks Peter;

So the rollers are powered, I will past wax the tables. I suspect the knives are OK, as they cut very cleanly and the wood after planning is very smooth.

Shawn

chris fox
11-24-2008, 1:52 PM
Something else to consider - I have always trailed the main piece of lumber with a smaller sacrifice piece to reduce snipe on the good piece.

Chip Lindley
11-24-2008, 2:02 PM
Crank the planer up to its maximum height, and observe it running under power without a board in it (from safe distance with eye protection) See if the feed rollers are rotating. If so, Great!! With the planer unplugged, clean the rollers with a rag *moistened* with mineral spirits to remove wood dust or resin.

Also there may be an adjustment to lower the feed rollers so they apply more pressure to the stock being planed. Consult your owners manual if available, or download a copy online from http://www.deltaportercable.com/ServiceAndSupport/PartsList.aspx

If the feed rollers do not rotate, a belt or gear is broken or otherwise not engaged.
Good Luck!

Matt Ocel
11-24-2008, 3:07 PM
Like Chip says (if thats his real name) I find the keeping the rollers clean is the key.

Sincerly,
Splinter

Chuck Schultz
11-24-2008, 3:50 PM
I had the same problem with a Delta 22-580 planer that I received. I put on a generous coat of Johnson's Paste Wax on the infeed and outfeed table and it worked perfectly after that.

Chip Lindley
11-24-2008, 6:57 PM
In fact my dad nicknamed me "Chip" when I was born. During 61 years I have endured iterations of... Chip off the old Block...Chiparoo...ChipNdip...even BuffaloChip...haha!!...but alas now I am a WoodChip!

Shawn Honeychurch
11-27-2008, 1:01 PM
First, I would suspect that the knives are dull. This is a classic cause of having to push or pull the boards through. Second, use plenty of past wax on the tables to lubricate the surface. I will make a huge difference and does not affect any future finishing. I use Johnson's Past wax and lather it on liberally and don't wipe it off.

CPeter
Peter you got it.

I waxed the tables and that did it, feeds the wood nice and smooth now. Looks like the knives may have a couple of very small nicks on them, so I have to deal with that, but it sure feeds nice now.

Thanks