PDA

View Full Version : mini lathes need help

shaun gardner
11-24-2008, 12:50 PM
rockler has a special on the digital multisped excelsior lathe for 199. now I was comparing that to the rikon mini. There are a few diff 10in swing vs 12in for rikon and the rikon is variable by belt movement only. Never used a lathe B 4 so really need some good advice on the two tools. the rikon is 329 the excelsior is on special at half off on the black friday sales. any opinions would be greatly appreiated!

Chris Stolicky
11-24-2008, 1:51 PM
I don't have any personal experience with either. I do know that Rikon has had some good reviews.

I did a lot of research lat year before I bought mine and settled on the Jet 1014. It is now almost 50% more than I paid for it then; like the price on most cast-iron based tools. Yes, changing the belts can be a pain, but I have learned to live it. I actually don't change the speed very much. It usually depends on what I am turning.

I can tell you that it would be nice to have the 12" swing. That extra 2" make a big difference. Which ever lathe you choose, make sure you anchor it to something solid.

Jon Lanier
11-24-2008, 4:13 PM
Well, I like my Rikon Mini. I've had it for over a year now and really don't have any complaints.

Rusty Smith
11-24-2008, 4:28 PM
I bought a VS mini from Penn State called a Turncrafter that I suspect may be made by the same company. It is a nice little lathe for the price. The only trouble, and it is minor, is the banjo sometimes will not stay locked tight. I think all I need to do is adjust it but I've not messed with it yet. I just recently upgraded to a Nova 1624-44 when Woodcraft had them on sale, but I expect to continue to use my mini for pens, bird houses and small turnings.

I just went out and looked at the Rockler and compared it to the one I have. WAY different design.

Brodie Brickey
11-24-2008, 6:53 PM
If you have the choice between 10 & 12 inches of swing. Get the one with 12 inches of swing. Once you're hooked on this turning stuff, you'll always try to go larger, whether a bowl or platter, or something else.

RL Johnson
11-24-2008, 10:15 PM
The $130 dollar difference will go a good ways in buying tools and other items you must have to turn. If money is not a concern then go for the most lathe you can afford but the $199 special is a good way to see if turning is really what you want to do. After all they are both classed as a mini and you will want a much bigger lathe if you decide wood turning is the thing for you. Either choice is not a bad way to go and just remember, practice, practice, practice.

Scott Lux
11-25-2008, 2:12 PM
Shaun,

Where'd you find that sale? I'm interested, but can't find any info on it.

Keith Spaniel
11-25-2008, 9:29 PM
i have the rickon .i would like a bigger lathe already . before i bought mine i tried the jet . changing speeds is a must, the rikon is fast and easy to change speeds ,not as fast as speed control. before you buy one or the other, go play around with them. I dont think i would ever get rid of the mini ,even when i get a full size lathe. quote" -I never regretted buying a good tool. keith

shaun gardner
11-25-2008, 11:21 PM
I saw it on an in store flier. They are are having a number of items on sale at half off and more. Good only from 7-10 am.

Scott Lux
11-26-2008, 4:25 PM
I checked the Rockler site, and it was listed there for a while today at that price. But it's not now. I assume some web-guy was testing deployment procs for Friday AM.

Unfortunately for me, the partner stores aren't included, only the Rockler stores. So I can try online (shipping Grrrr) or drive 125 miles to Cincinnati (also Grrrr). Or I can just keep using my little Wilton mini.

Lux

Scott Lux
11-28-2008, 12:19 PM
I ordered one this morning!! I considered driving to Cincy to pick one up, but I was concerned that I'd get there and they be out already. So I ordered it off the interwebs.

Total came to $269 even with the $35 extra shipping charge. Looks like a decent lathe. Definitely bigger than my Wilton. I think my brother wants to buy my little one so that'll help offset the cost a bit.

I'll post pics when it arrives in 6-9 business days.

Thanks for the heads-up Shaun!

Lux

shaun gardner
11-28-2008, 3:06 PM
Good news here picked one up this morning with a set of 6 sorby full size turning tools and one boss spindle sander. $651 out the door. Plus $25 gift card for buying a delta. saved around $ 400. now if I only wasnt at work :mad: