PDA

View Full Version : accuride 3832 or Blum Tandem

chris fox
11-24-2008, 12:45 PM
I am detailing a couple of bath vanities that have pull out drawers instead of swing doors. I need to decide on Accuride 3832(side mount-full extension) or a Blum Tandem undermount. I used these on a 6 drawer dresser and paid a bloody fortune for these especially after buying the locking devices for them.
So the question is, are these Accurides 3832 a good self closing slide? I visited my local Rockler over the weekend and a similar slide(didnt have the 3832) the motion was louder than what I expected and self-closing was a little rough/abrupt.

Thanks Chris

Jamie Buxton
11-24-2008, 2:05 PM
My impression is that the Accuride 3832 self-closer is a little too strong and abrupt. Maybe it works nicely on big heavily-loaded drawers, but it kinda snaps shut on smaller ones. The Tandems are really nice, as you know. www.wwhardware.com has better prices on them than the woodworking sites like Woodcraft and Rockler.

Jay Jolliffe
11-24-2008, 4:36 PM
Try www.hdlusa.com I buy most of my blum tandum slides through them & very their reasonable.

chris fox
11-24-2008, 6:42 PM
I was also looking at the KVs too. they look similar in design to the Blum's?
Anyone here familar with these?

David DeCristoforo
11-24-2008, 6:45 PM
These are two completely dis-similar drawer glides. The Accuride 3832s are not undermounts nor are they self closing. Accuride "Eclipse" 3132 are undermounts similar to the Blum Tandem glides but I don't think they are really any cheaper.

Jamie Buxton
11-24-2008, 7:03 PM
David, the Accuride 3832 is a family of slides. One of them is a self-closing model. (http://www.accuride.com/Woodworking/Product/Details.asp?ProductID=46)

Chris, I've used the KV9400 slides. They are a clone of the Blum Tandem. I didn't find that they offered any advanatages over the Tandem.

Jeff Qualmann
11-24-2008, 8:26 PM
KV 9400's are a self-closing undermount slide very similar to a Blum tandem, in fact all of your drawer prep is identical to Blum's so if you are already familiar with Blum's it is a no-brainer conversion.

KV also has several self-closing slides (8417, 8419) in their 100 lb. ball bearing 8400 line, some are standard self-closers, others like the 8450 are both self-closing and soft-close in a side mount 1/2" slide style.

David DeCristoforo
11-24-2008, 9:04 PM
"David, the Accuride 3832 is a family of slides. One of them is a self-closing model."

True. The self closing one is the 3832SC. But they are still completely dissimilar from the undermounts like the Tandems which is why I was puzzled by the comparison.

Brian Gumpper
11-24-2008, 9:53 PM
I was also looking at the KVs too. they look similar in design to the Blum's?
Anyone here familar with these?

I was going to mention them because KV is typically a good quality product and their slides were almost half the price from what I recall for 100# full extension. Never used them but they will get a try next time.

chris fox
11-25-2008, 1:05 AM
I stand corrected David - the 3832 SC was the one I was comparing to even though it was side mount. I dont have alot of experience with any others - fairly new to this hobby.
I noticed a prie difference between the KV and the Blum too so was curious on how they performed.
I also think 100lb rating is a overkill for these drawers too.
thanks for the input.
Chris