PDA

View Full Version : floor mount electrical receptacle

Gary Hoemann
11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
We are finally in our new house and setting up the shop. both in the shop and in the living area, we would like some flloor mounted electrical receptacles. I see some very expensive brass floor outlets, but can I just use regular boxes and receptacles, or is there something unsafe about this. In the living areas, can I make wood coverplates without having some kind of fire risk?

Ben Franz
11-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Floor mounted receptacles must use a device approved for floor mount applications - regular receptacles are not safe because they can be damaged easily and debris can get into the plug. This is particularly bad in a shop environment. There, the best type of floor outlet uses a monument style plug with a metal housing. Search on this forum or see FWW shop issue from last year (IIRC) for more info.

Rollie Meyers
11-24-2008, 10:46 PM
A floorbox must be listed & labeled for the purpose, a site built/jerryrigged is not a good idea. Hubbell & Carlon both have PVC floor boxes that can take a variety of covers, the "monument" style is a trip hazard IMO, I have had floorboxes w/ brass covers in my shop floor for 15 years w/ no troubles. BTW most floorboxes are made for concrete floors, very few are made for wood floors but are avail.

Bob Cooper
11-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Actually i need to buy some really nice looking brass floor mounted recepticles. Can anyone recommend a really good quality brand/source?

Rollie Meyers
11-25-2008, 8:27 AM
Actually i need to buy some really nice looking brass floor mounted recepticles. Can anyone recommend a really good quality brand/source?

What type of floor? That will make a diff. on what's avail.,the big box stores* do carry some for wood floors either made by Raco or Carlon.

*What Home Despot or Blowes carry will depend on the market they are in.

Bob Cooper
11-25-2008, 8:47 AM
Rollie...sorry i should have been more explicit. These would go in the living/great room of the house and the floors are 3/4" heart pine over advantech subfloor.

Rollie Meyers
11-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Check your local big box or a good electrical supply house would be a better bet, there are a few floor boxes made for wood floors.

Try seaching the Hubbell website http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/htm/catalogindex.htm Click on the floor box section and there are ones listed for wood floors.

Daryl Upole
11-27-2008, 9:12 PM
In my NE Ohio County the building department requires "garage" (so I'm using the same standards for my shop) receptacles to be at least 24" above the floor and, of course, GFCI. I don't know the reason - but maybe that volatile fumes settle at a lower level?

So, I'd just make quick phone call to your electrical inspector for your jurisdiction. Good luck.