PDA

View Full Version : Colorful stain or dye

Bill Mitchel
11-24-2008, 11:07 AM
I have been looking at turning a few colorful HF ( Mom's x-mas gift :D) and was interested in what stains or dye's ( is there a difference ) you have had sucess with. Are some of them prone to fade? I saw that someone was using cake dye from Michaels and had success with that. I wanted colors that were bright and vibrant. Any info would be great.

Bill

Roger Wilson
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Rit clothing dye, also from Michaels, can be used to dye stuff. Don't know about light fastness though.

If you goto the Rit website they show how to mix their dyes to get other colors.

Jay Jorgensen
11-24-2008, 12:20 PM
We had a demo at club in October take a look at it here

http://www.utahwoodturners.org/mags/oct08.pdf

Scott Conners
11-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Google fed this ad to me on this thread, I know nothing of them but it looks right up your alley: http://www.woodessence.com/dyesdefault.html?gclid=CLeLgp2sjpcCFQ89awod2C1DGA

Bill Mitchel
11-24-2008, 4:23 PM
Thanks guys - good info. I am waiting for a few roughouts to dry then I'll give it a shot and post some pics. In the meantime I will have to try some different techniques, interesting how he shoots the dye on the inside to bleed through the some of the outside.

Bill

robert hainstock
11-24-2008, 5:26 PM
Don't know what those sites will say, But I mix my dye with DNA to keep th water off the wood. Good luck:) Bob

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I buy the dyes like Bob that mixes with DNA. It doesn't raise the grain of the wood and dries pretty quick.

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Bill - there is a difference between stains and dyes. Stain use pigments to adhere to the surface of the wood and can hide the grain of the wood. Dye actually changes the color of the wood without hiding the grain.

I have used RIT dye a few times now and have had very good results. I mix it with DNA and use a 1" foam brush to saturate the turning with the solution. I let it dry for a day and lightly sand with 400 grit to eliminate any small bumps that the DNA raises in the surface. I apply gloss poly over the dye and it really enhances the color of the piece!

Bill Mitchel
11-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Steve
What type of poly do you use - just curious, usually I just use a schellac then beall buff or sometimes lacquer but I'm looking for something different. I did pick up some watco wipeon poly yesterday, do you guys get good results from it?

Thanks
Bill

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Bill, I use Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly and have had good success with it. I also use the Watco Danish oil sometimes but have never tried their Wipe-On Poly.

Frank Kobilsek
11-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Guys

Somebody needs to write up direction son the Wipe On Poly thing. The few time I used it I bet it took a dozen coats before I thought I had coverage. I find Wipe On poly frustrating.

I am having good luck with Artisan dyes from CSA. Just wipe on with paper towel. If intending a single solid color I'll even mix a little dye with my antique oil finish. I think it adds depth to the color. When doing multiple colors I'll flash off the achohol with a propane torch to set the color and be able to move on to the next color quickly without getting muddy mixed colors.

Frank