PDA

View Full Version : What NOT to do with your Wixey Angle Gauge

Tony Cox
11-24-2008, 9:45 AM
I was using my miter saw to cut some crown molding that is going up in our house. I must have missed the part in the instructions that states "Remove gauge from blade", because I didn't and you can see the results.

alex grams
11-24-2008, 9:54 AM
I have to give you props for admitting you did that and posting pictures. Though I won't pretend I haven't ever done anything similar.

David Schnegg
11-24-2008, 9:59 AM
Wow... I hope you were wearing eye protection.

Bill White
11-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Warrenty issue? Nah!!! Operator issue? Yep!
Glad ya didn't get fragged.
Oh! Did it make ya jump?
Bill

Jim Becker
11-24-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm suspecting that there were a few bad words involved in this, too... :o

Jimmy Williams
11-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Yikes. I just purchased one of these and love it. Note to self, this is what it will look like if I don't remove it from the blade first.

Props to you for admitting the mistake. Glad you weren't hurt.

Aaron Berk
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Did it happen to record it's angle of trajectory as it shot off the blade?:D

John Ricci
11-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Thats some impressive wreckage:eek:. As long as you were not hurt it looks like in the very least you have a spare battery for your new one:D

J.R.

Matt Meiser
11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Does it actually say to remove it from the blade? If not, I think they owe you a new one. I mean, how were you supposed to know? :rolleyes: :D At least it looks like the CR2032 battery is OK. Those things are expensive! :D

Seriously, that really stinks. I hate when I do something stupid. And I really get mad at myself when it costs me money or results in blood loss!

Garth Keel
11-24-2008, 10:50 AM
you could say they just don't make things the way they used to! In the old days, etc. etc. etc. :D

Walt Caza
11-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Tony,
Awesome post!
Sorry for your mis-hap, but glad you are ok.
You gave me a good chuckle on a Monday morning, to start off the week!
Cool pics.... I was wondering what was in there to make them work so good?
Thanks for sharing,
Walt

ps maybe, if you have been good, Santa might bring you a replacement?

Matt Ellis
11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
not nearly as impressive, but i learned this weekend that it is important to remember to remove the key from the chuck on my DP prior to turning it on at 2500 rpm. thankfully no damage to me or anything else, but it was definitely a "clenched" moment!

-matt

Alan Schaffter
11-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Been there, done that, though I was lucky- my Wixey is still intact and working!

Tony Cox
11-24-2008, 11:27 AM
No blood loss

A few choice words, then I just shut off the lights, went in the living room and watched TV. Later that night I went back and took the saw apart to remove the gauge from the dust shoot. Dust shoot on the saw was destroyed. I just ordered those replacement parts this morning.

This happend on Friday night and Saturday afternoon I went to Rockler and got a replacement. I was going to Rocker anyway on Saturday, I just wasn't planning on buying one of these.

I think I am going to replace the blade also. I don't want any of the carbide teeth coming off while in use. That could be bad also.

Battery was still good. It is now in the new one and I put up the 2 that came with it. I look at it as buying 2 batteries for $40.

Tony

Doug Shepard
11-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Yikes. I'll tape a big reminder sign right on my saw blade so I'm sure not to miss it.:D

frank shic
11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
lol, that's hilarious! glad you didn't get hurt.

Chris Padilla
11-24-2008, 12:00 PM
All that will buff right out!

;)

Mike Goetzke
11-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I use a circ. saw on a panel cutting rail system. I once left the gauge on it. I found it before my second cut. It was still on the blade! My gauge use to wobble slightly if not used on a magnetic surface - not any more it has a nice flat ground surface now.

Mike

Chris Stolicky
11-24-2008, 1:39 PM
Doh! Look out! :eek:

Glad to see you are okay. At least it was relatively inexpensive item in the grand scheme of things. Although the blade replacement could be much more.

You didn't catch the angle of lift off, did you? :D

Peter Quinn
11-24-2008, 7:26 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. Oh, and WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING?

PS: Does the Wixley still work?

Charles Davis
11-24-2008, 7:30 PM
All that will buff right out!

;)

LOL! No matter how bad I break something that's always my initial thought... :cool:

Steve Clardy
11-24-2008, 8:54 PM
Hey that's quite an oopsie there :eek::D

Matt Meiser
11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
You know, I was just thining--if you had a Sawstop.... :D

Bill Huber
11-24-2008, 10:46 PM
The battery looks ok.....:D

Don't you just hate it when you do things like that.... and when you do, I always look around to make sure no one was watching....

Alex McClure
11-24-2008, 11:21 PM
That looks like the kind of work that comes out of my shop.

glenn bradley
11-24-2008, 11:54 PM
OMG, send a pic to Barry Wixey. He'll get a kick out of it.

Mark Elmer
11-25-2008, 12:33 AM
To bad Timex doesn't make these. They would "take a licking and keep on ticking"

Anybody else remember those TV comercial where they'd take a Timex watch and strap it on the track of a snowcat and then show the watch with still working?

Or how about the Bic pen that they shoot through a piece of wood with a rifle?

Charles Wiggins
11-25-2008, 9:52 AM
I was using my miter saw to cut some crown molding that is going up in our house. I must have missed the part in the instructions that states "Remove gauge from blade", because I didn't and you can see the results.

Reminds me of this quote from Paul Dickson:
"No experiment is ever a complete failure. It can always be used as a bad example." :D

Derek Stevens
11-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Being one of those who NEVER has made a mistake in my life, I just cant empathize with your plight......

note to self- don't add this to the hidden list of shop mishaps......

Wayne Cannon
11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
It looks like it had a loose nut behind the switch -- at least that's what my Dad always told me!

Josiah Bartlett
11-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I accidentally left an oscilloscope ground lead connected to a hot terminal on a circuit board at work and turned it on. I caught a one-off prototype on fire and lost about 6 weeks and 5 grand worth of material on that project. The air in the lab turned blue, mostly from my language.

Don Dorn
11-26-2008, 7:03 AM
Being one who always wondered what the "guts" looked like in electronic gizmos - you have done us a service. While I'm sorry yours was "sacrificed" for the cause, I thank you for providing the peek. I'm also thankful to the person who showed me the guts of an expensive digital camera.

Since my time is no doubt coming - I'll be sure to return the favor.