PDA

View Full Version : ranting

mike reynolds
03-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Just to introduce myself, i am a furnituremaker who also works at a local woodworking store. Someone e-mailed us a copy of a thread from this board where a member was complaining of poor service. I wish to respond. I have cleaned up feces left on the floor of our bathroom by "customers". I have had a set of sharpening stones (which I purchased and brought in for a demonstration) stolen. I have had to listen politely while customers swear at me, yell at me and threaten me. I was on the phone with a customer when someone else felt neglected and hung up the phone. I have to listen to racist jokes, sexist jokes, religeous jokes and feign laughter at them or else I am a snob. I have to agree with your political views (or pretend well,) or I am a snob. We loose over 400.00 a month to theft. The last person we caught stealing was an elderly man in a luxury car who had "shopped here for months". I have been accused of trying to "soak" customers (we get no commission) or else we ignore them. I often wonder how these people would feel if they were repeatedly asked questions about a competitors product line? When you ask people 50 times a day if you may help them and are repeatedly told no or told the same stupid "yea, I'll take one of everything" over and over you would get dazed. I love woodworking and I love to assist people, but please, I am not your pal, buddy, kid or whatever else you cal me. I will not buy things on my discount for you (yes, I have been asked) I will not give you my phone number for private instruction. (that too). I dont want to hear of your marital or sexual problems. I will help you with your woodworking needs If I am treated as a human being as opposed to some type of serf. I pride myself on being on a first name basis with many customers. I enjoy talking with many of them. But just because someone waves a credit card or a wad of bills around doesn't mean I should just bend over and let them treat me like dirt. Yet according to some of these comments, "the man with the money is the boss". Thanks for affording me the opportunity to vent and now I can enjoy the rest of my time here. By the way, I work in Northern Ohio.

Tom Sweeney
03-13-2003, 11:04 PM
First off welcome to the Creek - it's a great place with great people.

Second - calm down & pull up a log & set a while. We've all had lousy customer service as well as lousy customers, clients, whatever.

There was also a thread - right on the heals of the one you were talking about - about great customer service in WW'ing stores.
Here's the thread

<a href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=753&highlight=customer+and+service">Click Here</a>

I've dealt with John q. Public for the last 25 years - since I was a teenager. Pumped gas, mechanic, Realtor, small business owner, landlord (you don't even want to know). I have stories that make yours seem tame - ever had a gun pulled on you? Ever have to buy a $800 washer/dryer set to keep a client happy? Ever rip asbestos off of pipes to keep a deal together? Dealing with people all day is great & awful at the same time. But dealing with retail stores is sometimes no picnic either, after all they're staffed by people right? :rolleyes . Good customer service is hard to find these days - but it definately does still exist. We all just do the best we can.

IMHO Life's too short to worry about the small stuff. Course I don't often listen to my own advice - a few months back I threatened to beat the tar out of a city zoning inspector on an inspection of a property I own - so it's easier said then done : :eek:

Hope to see you around the creek :)

Howard Barlow
03-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Welcome Mike, come on in.

Hey, I was raised behind the counter at my daddy's golf course. You pegged it right.

Many's the night our phone rang at 10pm and a golfer asked my dad to meet him at the clubhouse so he could get his clubs. He and his buddies had just decided to play somewhere else the next morning. My daddy, a true master at customer relations (much to my dismay and disgust), would do it. So much for living across the street from the golf course.

I've dealt with the public all my life. I guarantee ya one thing, there is no stranger thing on this earth than human nature.

Everette Harmon
03-14-2003, 6:00 AM
While I agree with most of what you've said, I worked for an electronics retailer for 10 years, Just because the last guy ticked you off is no reason to take it out on the next guy and it goes the other way also. I'm there to spend my money and your there to help me spend it. If your not your in the wrong business. Your right, that your not my buddy or pal, but your being paid to be helpful and respectful, even unfortunantly if the customer is a jerk.

While I've never been to your store or Ohio (since 1970), the store in my area leaves a lot to be desired and I find it easier to shop on line.
In my Opinion these stores operate in a vacuum where there are not many woodworking stores around and act like they are doing you a favor and when you have a question about your purchase it's all the customers fault. In my opinion these particular stores need to have some training in customer service, starting with the owners of the franchise.
My 2cents

Everette

Eddie Severt
03-14-2003, 6:18 AM
Mike,
I can understand your frustration. I, too, have worked with the public in many jobs, but for the last 25 years as a school bus driver. Don't even ask me how this job is!! You wouldn't believe what I put up with. No matter what happens, 99% of the time the parents believe the kids and the school board backs them up, even if it is caught on video. I do this because I like kids, and most of them are good, just a few that ruin it for everybody.

Glenn Clabo
03-14-2003, 6:52 AM
Okay Mike...Now that you got that off your chest...can you get all the registered members of the Creek a discount? :p

Ya know sometimes we all need to hear the other-side of the story. My wife, who I lost to breast cancer 5 years ago, used to work at The Home Depot. I couldn't believe some of the things "costumers" would try to pull on her. Feel free to tell us the story of your day.

So tell us what kind of furniture do you make. Pictures are cool.

And...

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-14-2003, 7:08 AM
Very well said...

KC

Bill Grumbine
03-14-2003, 7:34 AM
Hi Mike

I am a professional woodworker who is also a preacher, a marriage and family counselor, and have worked in retail, so I am not surprised to see some of the comments you have made, and I have no doubt that the experiences you document are both real and ongoing. I've been there too.

There is no shortage of selfish morons in the world. No matter how hard we try, we will never be rid of them, and in our society today, their attitude is actually encouraged. They are on both sides of the counter.

As has already been stated, but in a slightly different way, just because the last person was a jerk doen't mean the next one will be that way also. Responding to crude and vulgar people with civil restraint is a sign of class. Theives are a bit different matter of course, and should be dealt with as harshly as possible.

On the bright side, if everyone was pleasant, where would be the fodder for great stories? It is sure no fun being involved in the incident when it happens, but the reward (one of them, at least) is being able to tell the horror story to your true friends. Even better, with the internet, it is always possible that one of the offenders might recognize him (or her) self, although it is unlikely. People like that tend to go blindly on their way unaware that they are so offensive.

One final comment. Based on my experience, these offensive people are usually the most miserable people in the world. They may have an outward air of happiness and contentment, but there is a real emptiness inside that goes along with their way of life. You never know when treating one of them politely might lead to a polite response. If not, they still don't have to bring us down. We just have to shake the dust off our boots and move on.

Bill

Scott in Douglassville, PA
03-14-2003, 8:03 AM
Ok, now I'm curious which thread got you going...

Welcome, though.

Lee Schierer
03-14-2003, 8:20 AM
WOW....what a way to start the morning. I agree with Bill Grumbine.

It is easy to find fault in life. Heaven knows there is plenty of it. There is also lots of good out there. Lets spend our energies in that direction and the world will be a much better place.

If I'm unhappy with my job, there are lots of career paths out there. All you have to do is try.

Jim Izat
03-14-2003, 8:22 AM
First welcome aboard. I think you'll find things here to be much lower in stress and much higher in humor (okay so not all my humor is understood by others!) I worked in retail for three or four years and had similar experiences. That's why I don't do it any more. For what I got paid I had too many other options.

Jim Izat

Joe Suelter
03-14-2003, 8:22 AM
Mike, I understand your point of views. I worked in a speed shop (for race cars) for 8 years until one day a customer got very out of line, actually threatened to "pull me over the counter", I snapped at that point. The very next day I called a buddy who is a supervisor at the local cable company, I was employed there a month later and couldn't be happier. That was three years ago, and I come home from work much happier, I don't bring my job home with me, where-as at the speed shop I would come home on a daily basis and vent for two hours about my crappy day. It sounds like your heading down that same road. I would advise you to look at your lifestyle very closly, it doesn't sound to me from reading your post that you enjoy helping people any longer. Believe me, there is no shame in hanging up the smock! Dealing with the public is a VERY stressfull job, one that many people simply cannot do for very long. I got to the point that I would look for things to do in the back room and let the other employees take care of people, so I didn't have to deal with them. Whatever you do, relax, it's just a job and their just people like you, have you ever gone into a business and raised a stink over something??? I have...and I know that probably everyone here has at some point. It's an on-going cycle that wont end with the anti-social society we live in. Enough said.

Dave Avery
03-14-2003, 8:42 AM
I agree with many of the comments above, particularly those made by Bill and Lee. I'll also add the following....

While I understand and share your frustration with the deplorable state of values in our society, you are not going to change that state. One can only do their best to respond honorably and not be dragged downward. If that's not possible, I agree with those who point out that there are many other career choices that don't require constant contact with the public. Dave.

John Miliunas
03-14-2003, 8:53 AM
Mike, please don't take this the wrong way. I thought pretty hard before deciding to post to this thread and do not wish to get into a pissing match. Right up front, I've worked retail for many years, from part time up to managing a retail stereo shop. What you say about many of the customers rings so very, very true and is one of the reasons I am no longer in retail. I am, however, almost in a worse situation when it comes to providing good customer service "at all costs". I work for a major university. A *publicly* funded university. By that, I am responsible and held accountable for servicing and being answerable to the tax-paying public. No, it's NOT easy in many instances.

No, I will NEVER be able to please everyone, no matter how hard I try. But there, in my eyes, is the operative word: "TRY". My working world, like yours, is to not only provide knowledge and product, but service. Customer Service today is one of the top sellers to much of the buying public. If I have to pay a bit extra for an identical product, but one of the vendors is known for better service, that's who gets my $$.

If I recall the thread you are referencing, the folks posting to the thread made a clear indication that *any* effort or "trying* on the part of the store staff was NOT happening. Quite frankly, I believe they have (had) every right to feel slighted by that store's staff and I too would no longer assist in contributing to that store's bottom line.

Believe me, I *know* the feelings you describe. I just very recently had a situation with a rather "high ranking" Director who came to me for help. I went through the whole process point by point and double/triple checked with him to be sure we had *ALL* the info necessary to perform the service(s) he requested. I finished reconfiguring his PC for him and he seemed quite pleased. For a few days, that is. Then, out of nowhere, I get an email (cc'd, BTW, to my supervisor and my dept. director) saying that he couldn't find files "such and such". Quite simply, I never passed "ESP-101" in college and could not have known about the files he had stashed deep in the bowels of his old setup. In the end, I was able to recover all, but he still blamed me for the snafu. Fine. Whatever. You let it bounce off and move on. I can tell you that my next customer did NOT know of the Hell I had just been through!

I think that maybe the best advice here may have been given by Joe S. Retail can be a grueling occupation with many such negative experiences and few rewards. Many of us have given it up to pursue other venues, more rewarding and satisfying. Might be worth some though, Mike. Oh yeah. Welcome aboard. If you feel the need to "unload", feel free to drop me a line. My email is listed....

Ron Taylor
03-14-2003, 10:09 AM
<Just to introduce myself, i am a furnituremaker who also works at a local woodworking store.>

Howdy and welcome to the Creek. I'll introduce myself as well. I'm Joe Customer with a credit card and a wad of money. I'd like one of everything in your store.

<Someone e-mailed us a copy of a thread from this board where a member was complaining of poor service. I wish to respond. >

I hear you. I hope you and the store managers/owners also heard us. Whomever forwarded the email was trying to send a message. Did the message get through, or did all of the store personnel react the same way you did? Since you didn't mention anywhere in your "rant" that you also have decent folks shopping in your store, I can only assume that you haven't recognized that there were some. In my experience, the VAST majority of customers are decent, respectable, and humane folks, looking for quality merchandise at a fair price. I have to believe that it is the same in Ohio as it is in Alabama.

There is no reason that you have to act like you enjoy cleaning up poop or laugh at dirty jokes. In this day of political correctness, no one will consider you a snob if you politely tell them you are offended at such. If they consider you a snob, so be it.

And as for theives and vandals, PROSECUTE them.

Throughout your entire post, the one line that stands out is

<"Yet according to some of these comments, "the man with the money is the boss".>

THAT is the message that you and your managers should have gotten from the email and the thread here. If that is not your creed, then you should seek other employment. If that is not your store policy, you are not long for business. You have to shuck off all of the negatives that occur in the course of running a business and focus on your good customers. And, to those customers, you owe three things, service, Service, and SERVICE.
Regardless of when, where, and how often you were "treated like dirt".

When we, the good customers, walk into your store with our credit cards and/or our wad of money, it is most likely that we worked long and hard, saved deligently, and probably sacrificed something else for the enjoyment of spending that wad of money at YOUR establishment. We are not privy to whatever happened with the last customer, the last five minutes of your job, or last week. Frankly, we don't care. We expect and deserve to be treated promptly, courteously, and professionally. We expect and deserve to have our questions answered civilly. When we ask about a competitors product, we are usually looking for a reason to buy yours, take advantage of the opportunity. If we tell you we don't need any help, don't waste your time trying to cram information down our throats, perhaps we DO know what we are looking for, where it is, and how to get it to the check out.

And at the point that, "yea, I'll take one of everything" started sounding "stupid" to you, you should have stepped back and evaluated whether or not you are cut out for retail sales. Perhaps your wood working skills out weigh your people skills.

You will never educate the jerks of this world. They don't care either. You will always have cheapskates asking for unreasonable discounts. The world is full of S.O.B's who think they can slap you on the back and call you their buddy, trying to take advantage. Expect it. And learn how to turn those times into opportunities to either politely invite the jerk to leave or better yet, sell him something. But don't expect the next customer to be a jerk as well. That separates the amatuers from the pros in the retail sales business.

I suppose I've "ranted" as well. Thanks for listening.

Ron

Dan Bussiere
03-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Mike,
After reading your post, I agree with what Ron has said. Look at the posts from the others that answered you. Notice the desire to difuse the situation! Notice the willingness to let you get it off your chest! These are the same traits required of ANY professional in ANY field of employment. I am also Joe Cusomer, but without the wad of bills. The purchase I make may be the only one of it's kind in my lifetime. I can't afford to buy that widget a second time because I didn't ask the right question or the store clerk didn't want to be very helpful. I want to be treated with the respect that I deserve for the hard earned money I am potentially about to spend in your BOSS'S store! OR........perhaps you should consider, with the encouragement of your BOSS, seeking other employment. Try to have bad moments, not bad days!
Dan

Dennis McDonaugh
03-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Hey Mike, Welcome to the Neighborhood, won't you be our neighbor? I understand your frustration with the public. I teach at a community college and have similar problems with the public. There's one kid (sometimes a 40-year old kid) in every class that makes the same smart aleck remark that every smart aleck made before him. I get the same whiners --whyyyyyyyyy do we have to do homework? How come the tests are sooooooo hard? I also have to deal with the idiot who thinks college is the place where he can pick up chicks--to the point of harassing every woman in sight. Or the bigot who doesn't think "they" are as good as him. But, the bottom line is, they all paid their money and have the right to be there so I try to explain the rules of society to them and help them fit in. Yeah, that 2 percent makes it hard, but you have to keep the other 98 percent in mind while you're dealing with them.

Simon St.Laurent
03-14-2003, 10:43 AM
I come from a part of the country that's not known for excessively polite customer service, and I've worked retail (Kinko's Copies) myself. I can't say I have any fondness for the notion that "the customer is always right", even when I'm the customer, and watching people whine and wheedle to get what they want really aggravates me.

I'd prefer that customers and the people who serve them had honest conversations than the enforced servility that people expect. Customers who go on and on about politics shouldn't be surprised to get an "I completely disagree with you". Customers who proselytize - yes, I've seen this several times, from very different faiths - shouldn't be surprised by employees who escort them to the door. I can tell lousy customer stories all day, and I haven't worked retail since 1994.

Employees in stores are not there to be imaginary friends. There's a genuinely freakish culture of subservience that people in management and customers both seem to expect, and a lot of retail businesses seem bent on turning their employees into friendly pets who please customers however is necessary for their wallets to be emptied.

When I go into a store, I hope that they have what I want and that they'll answer questions if and when I have them. If the employees are having a lousy day, there's no need to pretend that the world is all rosy - it's very strange to watch employee faces change when they turn away from a customer and they can stop acting. If I can't get basic service, there's always the comment card or a conversation with management, but those are last resorts for when the transaction is just plain impossible - or a nice option for positive reinforcement when a transaction goes especially well.

Forget "the customer is always right." Think more about "honesty is the best policy" and maybe we can all get our tools from stores whose employees have a better chance of enjoying their jobs. You may not like the conversation, but you'll know where you stand.

Bob Lasley
03-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Mike,

I once heard a man say, "You know, if it weren't for the customers, business would be alot of fun". This was said in jest, but the truth is, if it weren't for the customers, there would be no business. Like it or not, the customer IS the boss. The customer decides, ultimately, whether or not you get a paycheck!

I have worked in a woodworking store, both full and part-time and I still teach classes there. I don't know how it is in Ohio, but I found that here in Tulsa, our customers were/are some of the finest people on the face of the earth and I am proud that some of them consider me to be their friend, buddy, pal, etc. I have given out my phone number many times to folks that needed a little private instruction from time to time. I have been to some of my customers' shops and had customers in my shop.

Most of the customers who came in and "wanted one of everything" were simply expressing how impressed they were with the selection in the store. I always volunteered to ring it up for them and help them carry it out!

Although there are always exceptions, woodworkers, on the whole, are a great bunch of people and I am sure that is just as true in Ohio as in Oklahoma. Mike, all too often customers' attitudes are a direct reflection of the store staff's attitude.

Not everyone is cut out for customer service type occupations. This doesn't make them a bad person. I would hate to see some of my closest friends in a customer service job! If it's not your cup of tea, maybe its time for some coffee.

BTW, welcome to the Creek, we really do want you to stick around.

Bob

Michael Cody
03-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Another vote Mike for you to consider a change in occupation or attitude..

I also am in the camp that my job would be great if it weren't for customers... but that is not reality. As the saying goes:
<hr>
<b>Rule 1 - The customer is always right!
Rule 2 - If the customer is wrong refer back to rule 1!</b>
<hr>
I've been an IT support tech and support manager for 20 years. I am currently a Service Tech for an IBM Business Partner and see hundreds of customers a year. The majority are great folks but some are a real PIA.

That however does "NOT" change the fact that I great each phone call with a positive attitude (as far as they know ;)) and give them best service I can. I also on occasion tell them things they don't want to hear. Things like "you can't do that because it won't work. " They might not want to hear it, but it's the truth. I don't do it to belittle or in retaliation but simply because it's the fact. I often have to tell them we can't do it the way they want or in the time frame they want because it has to be done the way it needs to be done. Once again, I do it because it's the fact. I do it with a smile and with sincerity. I might not want too, but I do because it's how the job is done.

I have rarely had a customer complain about service I have given, in fact I take pride in the number of compliments I get and my employer gets. But I have had folks not happy with my work and rather than get mad, the first thing I do (even if I really would be glad they were gone) .. is contact, call, or go there and find out what they want to be done and if at all possible do it. If I can't make them satisfied (notice I didn't say happy) then I've failed in my job.

If you have reached the point where you can't do that, then you are in the wrong job. If the customer can make you mad, then you have lost. You can't let that happen.

I for one won't tolerate poor customer service ... if a close family member just died then go to the funeral instead of working, but don't tell me I have to tolerate bad service because you are grieving and so on. The most important customer in the world is the one you are talking to at that moment. If you can't remember that, once again it's time for a new career. You don't have to like it but you have to deal with it.

I always told my techs <i> "Customer Service is like stones on an ocean beach. When it starts the shore is full of sharp stones and customers are the water lapping at the beach. The water never ever stops and sharp rocks are smoothed by dealing with the customer ... in this business if you stay at it, you will get smooth or you will crumble, just like the rocks."</i>

It sounds to me that you are near crumbling .. a rant is ok, but you have to examine your feelings. If you are more of a sandstone type, customers are wearing you away quick. It's not bad thing but you have realize you will crumble unless you get out where your talents can shine.

Now however if you can get that proper approach to the job down, then you are like us granite types. We just get smooth! (but we try not to forget that even granite eventually crumbles in the ocean .... )

Joe Tonich
03-14-2003, 12:51 PM
It was probably my post that got you worked up & I'm sorry if it was. You probably don't even work for the place I was at, but it was about other stores in the area also. A co-worker has had the same response as I've had at other stores also. He isn't a woodworker and has no idea on how to do some things. He's asked me how to do something (that I could actually answer) but when he asked the sales guy the guy just looked at him like he was an idiot. I've worked with the public in restaurants and hotels, had to clean up things that would make you sick, had to listen to things you wouldn't believe, etc... I've been called everything you can think of because, in my job now, I have to inconvenience them! I've had drivers swerve 3 lanes over to try to scare me. Yet I still have to be nice and polite to them as thats part of my job also. I don't expect you to fawn all over me but if I start walking over to you with a puzzled look on my face, don't walk away. I try to know what I need/want before coming into the store but sometimes I can't. I won't raise my voice to get hold of you so I'll walk over to you to get a question answered. I always try to be polite and expect the same. Sorry if I pissed you off but maybe somebodies eyes got opened.

Joe

John Sanford
03-14-2003, 1:42 PM
I've only got one thing to add, and it relates to dealing with customers on the phone.

Wednesday, I was standing around in Wendy's waiting to get my free refill. The sole counter employee was having difficulty with his register, and he was waiting for some assistance from the supervisor.

He was waiting....

I was waiting...

He was waiting...

I was waiting....

I was done waiting. I reached over the counter, pushed my cup into the fountain trigger, got my Coke, and left. He tossed a snide "thank you" at me. Why? Because I dared to invade his space, and because the realization that everybody else knew he'd pissed away an opportunity to DO something for a customer.

How does this relate to telephones? Immediacy. One of the rules of simple civility that is so often overlooked is this: the person who is bodily in your presence is, everything else being equal, more important than the person on the phone. If you're talking to a customer in person and the phone rings, take a message, don't do a 5 minute conversation with the customer on the phone..... If a customer walks up while you're already on the phone, cut the conversation short or at least get "permission" from the customer in front of you to continue. To subject the individual in your presence to the tyranny of the telephone is simply rude.

Grace and peace.

Bob Boake
03-14-2003, 2:30 PM
If the customer you are currently waiting on is the most important customer in the world then why doesn't the guy in line behind him realize that and wait patiently?

If all the responders in this thread were so good at retail customer service and and found the the experience so rewarding then why are they all in other occupations now?

Is it rational to invest hours of time into the selection and procurement of specialty woodworking tools and then abandon the purchase at the checkout line because the check out clerk was momentarily inattentive?

It is apparent that woodworking and employment counselling are complimentary skills so I will not dissapoint. It seems that many in this forum are advising you to change professions for fear that you will not sufficiently fawn all over the next customer.If I were to advise you to seek other employment it would be because this is a dead end job with no prospects and fewer challenges to keep you interested. oh yes, welcome to SMC.

Michael Cody
03-14-2003, 2:46 PM
Hey Bob, I do customer service every single day and have for 20 years. If the customer you are working with at this momement is the most important customer ... the gent behind him thinks he should be. At that point you momentarily note the presence of the waiting customer or customers and deal with them in order, making sure you are noting everything going on. That acknowledgement and coming back to the current job at hand shows both customers you are aware of customer's concerns and you are not blowing off someone to help someone else or ignoring anyone. The customer you are involved will note that also. While not everyone is perfectly happy, it's apparent you are in control and doing what can be done.

If you should have a overflow of customers then get someone to help you which in itself is good customer service. If you can't or don't have anyone to help you, then find a better job where your skills will be appreciated, but don't stop doing your job just because it sucks.

There is no excuse for bad customer service anywhere anytime. I am at this moment working support for 3 customers including one who is unhappy with how long it's taking get his needs taken care of but is currently in a meeting and not returning my phone calls. While I am waiting for IBM on one issue, and a call back from another vendor, I am also dropping this note off.

I could just leave the one gent a message and blow on to another job waiting for him to take the initiative. Instead I left a message and will call back every hour until I get him or he gets in touch with me. All the while dealing with my other customers at the same time. It's a pain, but you never let the customer be required to take the initiative to ask you what "you" can do for him. That's how you develop a reputation for customer service.

I personally never said the guy who started this is a bad person or a bad employee. I simply said he needs to review his level of satisfaction and decide if retail sales (a PIA job all the time) is the best for him. But if he sticks with it, don't complain about it's faults but deal with them and do the job right.

Ron Taylor
03-14-2003, 3:14 PM
Bob, you asked some
** Important Questions?

As the old axiom goes, there is no such thing as a dumb question... but, sometimes the answers are real winners!

You asked..

*If the customer you are currently waiting on is the most *important customer in the world then why doesn't the guy in *line behind him realize that and wait patiently?

Because he is also the most important customer in the world. Most folks don't get impatient when they can tell that a clerk is doing a professional job waiting on someone else. Normal folks will get impatient being ignored while two, three, or more clerks discuss their private lives, or while one handles private business on the telephone.

*If all the responders in this thread were so good at retail *customer service and and found the the experience so *rewarding then why are they all in other occupations now?

Answer 1. Because I found my attitude turning sour. In other words, I practiced what I preach.
Answer 2. Because I make more money and am happier with my current job.

*Is it rational to invest hours of time into the selection and *procurement of specialty woodworking tools and then abandon *the purchase at the checkout line because the check out clerk *was momentarily inattentive?

Absolutely. Perhaps I am cutting off my own nose to spite my face, but I won't be insulted personally or intellectually by someone that I intend to PAY for services or goods.

Jim Fuller
03-14-2003, 3:58 PM
As always. I am in a very competative customer service. When it seems all your customers are bad then we must look at ourselves. In our business we always put the customer first, and we will occasionally drop the ball, but when we do I will personally contact that customer (assuming I know this happened) and sincerely apologize, and listen to his side of the story, which lots of times is very demeaning to me and my staff. I could go on as others here have correctly done, but the bottom line is that the next satisfied customer and the next is why I am still and will remain in this job. Every one here gives advise, so I will give my little bit. If you tell a customer with your voice that you want to help him and your face says go away, he will here your face. Welcome....

Von Bickley
03-14-2003, 4:27 PM
Mike,

First things first. Welcome to SMC. Sounds like you need a place to relax and unwind. I think you have found the perfect place. Good friends, lots of talent, and if that's not enought, grab a couple of Bud Lights.

PeterTorresani
03-14-2003, 4:36 PM
From my experience, the phone gets answered before the person in the store gets service. WHY?

My guess would be that a person currently in the store is probably not going to leave. He's already driven to the store, picked out merchandise, etc. A person on the phone will not come into the store if the service over the phone was poor.

Not that I agree method, but I do use the phone a lot

Ian Barley
03-14-2003, 5:06 PM
I've spent along time working in direct customer facing situations, including a year or so managing a McDonalds. Here, valued at the price you paid for it, is my approach.

The customer is NOT always right. He is frequently underinformed, sometimes misguided and often mistaken. What he NEVER is, is wrong.

If somebody is ignorant with you he is likely ignorant with everybody he comes into contact with. The best way to react is to be polite and civil. As friedly as you can. If he still chooses to be ignorant there is only one person losing out, and it isn't you.

When somebody says "I'll take one of everything" he is likely trying to be friendly and raise a joke. He probably doesn't know that he is the one hundred and thrity sixth person who has said that to you this week. He thinks he is being witty and friendly. The very least you can do is be friendly back.

My own experience of the store we all know we are talking about? Well I travelled about 6000 miles to visit the one in Orlando. Three weeks before my journey I phoned them and ordered some items to be available for collection during my 10 day vacation. I gave them credit card details and they charged the cost of the items to my card immediately. When I arrived to collect the items they were not available and would not be available during the period of my stay it. No attempt at apolgy or explanation of the failure was made. The value was refunded to my credit card without any problem but the exchange rate difference between when they charged the card and refunded it meant that this waste of time also cost me about $40. At no time did anybody apologise. I could have got all excitable and raised a ruccus. I didn't because I don't. I used the best sanction I have available. I took my dollar(pound) elsewhere.

The good bit of the exercise is that at least now I don't waste any of my vacation time in that particular store.

Retail is a tough job but going at it with a negative, unhelpful attitude only makes it tougher.

Gary Bindel
03-14-2003, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by bob boake
If the customer you are currently waiting on is the most important customer in the world then why doesn't the guy in line behind him realize that and wait patiently?

It has been my experience that the guy in line behind will wait patiently as long as you are not waisting time and carrying on a conversation that is irrelevant to the transaction. To do so is rude and tells the customers waiting that you do not value them.

If all the responders in this thread were so good at retail customer service and and found the the experience so rewarding then why are they all in other occupations now?

Few have said they found it rewarding. They have just pointed out the realities of it and what would be in his best interest. All have acknowledged the problems of dealing with the public. The difference is the attitude with which it is approached is what is important.

Is it rational to invest hours of time into the selection and procurement of specialty woodworking tools and then abandon the purchase at the checkout line because the check out clerk was momentarily inattentive?

If the inattentiveness is because they were too busy goofing off with fellow employees, they have told you that they do not want your business. I find it very rational to take my business to where it is wanted and support them rather than support a business that tells me I'm not important to them. It is not in ones self interest to reward poor/bad behaviour as it only ensures it will continue.

It is apparent that woodworking and employment counselling are complimentary skills so I will not dissapoint. It seems that many in this forum are advising you to change professions for fear that you will not sufficiently fawn all over the next customer.If I were to advise you to seek other employment it would be because this is a dead end job with no prospects and fewer challenges to keep you interested. oh yes, welcome to SMC.

I don't believe anyone here believes that they should be fawned over. What we do expect is to be treated courteously.

I agree with John S regarding how employees should handle phone vs in person customers. I find it extremely annoying:mad: when I am standing there with a purchase and money in hand and a phone call is given priority. It is senseless to jeopardize a sale from a definite customer for a possible customer.

Jim Fuller
03-15-2003, 10:38 AM
I live in Alabama and travel to Atlanta, approx 90 miles, to shop for some things. If you want to see good service in action, go to Highland Hardware. Those folks go through a lot of customers each day, and all the people can't all be good, but they have always treated me like they were waiting for me to arrive and I was the only customer they were going to have that day.

Keith Outten
03-15-2003, 11:15 AM
This thread/discussion has been ended as it just isn't going anywhere. There are good customers and sales people. There are bad customers and sales people.

Problems like this would be better discussed with the management of the store.