PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
11-24-2008, 9:21 AM
24 Nov 2008

For those of you that celebrate this weeks holiday: HAPPY THANKSGIVING.!!

Well, so far, I've gotten the table legs glued up and ready for shaping and sanding, the tabletop in two large pieces that are glued up and ready for the two halves to be glued together, and finally, I have the skirting cut out. One thing that I did find out about the oak boards that my neighbor supplied from his dad's old place....the oak had ring shake real bad. I had to work around that but wasn't able to get 100% solid wood being without any cracks in it, so I changed the leg design a tad and put the oak on the inside of the "leg sandwich" glueup. Looks better that way any way.

None the less, I won't make it in time for Thanksgiving, but will have it finished in time for Christmas use in the neighbors home.

I don't know who all is travelling this Thanksgiving holiday, but I wish you all a safe travel and may this be a time to reflect on what family really means and how many will visit with relatives that this will be the last time to ever see them again.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Joe Mioux
11-24-2008, 9:37 AM
nothing woodworking related.....

got to take out my English Pointer and let her get into some Quail yesterday afternoon. She performed magnificently.

joe

alex grams
11-24-2008, 9:51 AM
Workbench workbench workbench....

Got the skirting on the new bench, one of the vises installed, dogholes drilled, leg stock milled down and glued up. Bought more clamps (thx Woodcraft clearance and lowes final clearance!

Sighted in the rifle to go dear hunting...

Now my left shoulder is sore from planing, and my right shoulder sore from 20 rounds of 30-.06., plus my back is stiff from moving that workbench top around (that thing is going to kill me)

Jim Becker
11-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Saturday was consumed by equestrian activities as well as our 3 year "Family Day" celebration (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97282) dinner. Sunday, I actually was in the shop for a few hours helping a friend with some baseboard radiator cover construction and milling up several hundred feet of double bead casing. (He used the same GC for some recent home renovations that I used for our addition and like me, is doing additional work in other parts of his house to match) I also spent some quality time with SketchUp! designing a tack trunk which will likely be my next project.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Saturday I finished on pen in the morning. The LOML and I spent the afternoon using our pickup to move a granddaughters furniture and clothes and those of her husband and daughter to her In-Laws house for future pickup by the movers.

Sunday, I got cleaned up and at the orders of the LOML I did nothing. Who am I to argue with her? I can't win.

Jim O'Dell
11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Grouted the tile Saturday.....all day Saturday. :( Man is my body sore. Blisters on both hands. Have I told you I'd rather do plumbing work than grout tile???:D
Crawled around the roofs on the house and shop on Sunday am to blow all the leaves off, especially the mush in the valleys. Went and bought the baseboard molding, cut and dry fitted them, then painted 2 coats on them later in the day. I'll install them and touch up the nail holes next Saturday. Watched some football Sunday afternoon while I let my body recuperate. I didn't do enough of that last part... Everyone have a great Turkey Day!! Jim.

Matt Meiser
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Saturday I got the drawer parts milled for the dresser. I also got my new router plate installed and built a box for under the router which has been on my todo list since I got my new saw. After milling some rail/stile and raised panels last weekend I had quite a mess. While I was at the hardware store picking up a tiny set screw to replace the one that went missing from my top-bearing template bit, I found a DW616 router on clearance. The price wasn't gloatworthy, but about the same as Amazon so I picked it up. Now I have a base dedicated to the router table which is good since I've stripped out the screws once, retapped them to the next size up, and stripped out one of those again. The aluminum those Dewalt bases are made some is really soft, and I've even tried to be careful.

Sunday we went and bought a new fridge, then came home and put up Christmas lights, then went over to my parents' for dinner. As a side note--just because the packaging says "If one goes out the rest stay lit" doesn't make it true. We gave up on four strands and bought some new ones. I need to remember to go shopping on 12/26 and pick up a bunch of lights on clearance.

We are staying home for Thansgiving. Family will be in town Thursday and some Friday but mostly it will be a fairly quiet weekend so I plan to make a serious stab at getting the dresser done.

Matt Ellis
11-24-2008, 11:02 AM
i made up a bunch of zero clearance inserts for my saw. i had some scrap red and white oak laying around that was the right size, so i made four of them. i patterned them after the insert that came with the saw, complete with screw height adjustment. i made a couple for my full kerf blades and several for dado's of various widths.

-matt

Marcus Ward
11-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I glued up the top for my wife's sewing table and made a saw. I used the blade from a 2-cherries gents saw that I could never get the hang of, refiled for rip at 15 ppi. I made the sawnuts from some brass screws and knurled nuts filed down. It cuts pretty well. I'm kind of proud of it.

http://www.f-64.org/workbench/saw.jpg

Thomas Knighton
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I just sharpened a couple of saws (Disston D-4 and one with aWarranted Superior medallion). It's amazing the difference a sharp saw can make, let me tell ya!

Art Mulder
11-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Saturday I got the drawer parts milled for the dresser.
and put up Christmas lights, then went over to my parents' for dinner. As a side note--just because the packaging says "If one goes out the rest stay lit" doesn't make it true. We gave up on four strands and bought some new ones. I need to remember to go shopping on 12/26 and pick up a bunch of lights on clearance.

Matt... Three words: ELL-EE-DEE :p All new light strings in this house will be LED lights. I'm done with fiddling with checking all the bulbs in those mini-light strings.

And I'm doing a dresser also.

I've been working WAY TOO LONG on a fraternal twin (ie: not quite identical) to the tall dresser I built (http://wordsnwood.com/2007/dresser/) my oldest back in 2007 - and mentioned in a thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52208) back then also.

This weekend I finally finished the construction phase of the dresser.
No more cutting, nailing, or gluing. There may be some sanding touch up still ahead, but hopefully next weekend I'll be in the midst of shellac + varathane coats.

Here we are a few weeks back when the drawer boxes were finished, but not the drawer fronts.

And some of those drawers, now complete and sanded smooth

And the carcass laying out on the bench, ready for final touch up and then it's time to start finishing.

Rob Cunningham
11-24-2008, 1:29 PM
I took Friday off so I could paint the laundry room while nobody was home using the washer and dryer. Friday afternoon I replaced the 50 year old bathtub fixture in our master bath. This required cutting an access from the hall bath to get behind our tub. All in all the plumbing went pretty smoothly.
Saturday I got up early and put a second coat of paint on the laundry room. Also got to spend some time in finish sanding a small walnut cross that my son is giving to his Conformation mentor this Sunday and put two coats of dewaxed shellac on it. Saturday evening my wife and I had dinner with my brother and his wife.
Sunday after church was spent spraying USL on the cross, raking leaves, and installing new baseboard molding in the kitchen and laundry room.
I'm glad to be back at work and able to relax.:)

Douglas Brummett
11-24-2008, 1:37 PM
Friday was tool gloat day. Went on an afternoon trip down to Birmingham to pick up a 24x18x3 granite surface plate (that should get me to stop using my TS and jointer to lap planes). Coincidentally it was just down the road from Woodcraft. I had never been there before, so I had to take a gander. Well, near $200 later I can say that is a dangerous store to walk into with a coupon :)

Saturday was house cleaning. Only wood there was a quick mdf shelf I tossed up in the stairwell closet.

Sunday I had my fill of woodworking. Probably raked about a ton of leaves curbside for pickup. After that I hardly had the heart to do anything. But my number 5 was calling, so I finished getting it back together after it's face lift.

That's all I got. Sounds like the rest of you were more productive.

Steve Clardy
11-24-2008, 9:25 PM
Saturday was a normal work day in the shop.

Sunday was house day. Putting a new ceiling in the living room.

Uuuaaghhhh. My neck is locked into the look up position.:(

Fred Voorhees
11-24-2008, 9:38 PM
Three words.....leaves, leaves and leaves. Saturday was spent blowing them into many piles around the estate and Sunday was spent raking said piles onto a tarp and dragging them back to my section of woods. Not fun and not ever looked forward to, but necessary. I hate leaves.