PDA

View Full Version : A Different Newf

Guy Germaine
11-24-2008, 6:57 AM
A friend of mine wanted one of my sofa tables for his wife, for Christmas. I got tired of the same old Newf inlay, so I tried a new one. I think I like this one better. Couldn't use a router template, so I did this one by hand. The only thing I don't like about it is the sapwood in the legs. I think I'm going to turn the top around, so the sapwood is on the back of the front legs. It won't show as much that way.

http://www.fototime.com/6F61673C18675A2/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/6411607041A83E5/standard.jpg

Chuck Saunders
11-24-2008, 8:12 AM
Good Dog! sit, stay.

alex grams
11-24-2008, 8:51 AM
Very nice. what do you you use to cut the inlays?

Also, are the inside of the legs not stained/different wood? I can't see the detail of the color change. Walnut/maple is a great complimentary combination.

Guy Germaine
11-24-2008, 9:10 AM
The inlay is all walnut. It's just the way the light is hitting it. I do them by creating the inlay the shape I want it. I then place it where I want it in the top, and trace around it with an exacto knife. After I get it scored all the way around, I use a small router and hog out the material, staying just shy of the line. After that, I use various hand tools to clean it up.

Jim Becker
11-24-2008, 9:21 AM
Very nice work, Guy. I agree that for most folks, turning the base around may be more visually appealing, particularly if the other two legs don't have the same pattern.

Guy Germaine
11-24-2008, 9:37 AM
No, they don't. The other 2 legs are clear. This was all the 8/4 stock I had. I tried to squeeze all the sapwood out of it, but didn't make it.:mad:

Brian Effinger
11-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I have a question: Where's the line of drool that should be hanging from the mouth? :D

If this isn't glued up yet, is there any chance you could get some more 8/4 stock to remake the back legs?

Guy Germaine
11-24-2008, 10:56 AM
One of these days I AM going to see if I can make some drool! :D
I don't have enough time to go get some more 8/4. The top is just put on with pocket screws. I'll just turn it around, and it won't be as noticeable. Plus, she won't care. She'll love it anyway.

John Thompson
11-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Well done and agree... just turn it around as what's done is done...

Sarge..