PDA

View Full Version : TS Leg-Up accessory?

Brian Penning
11-24-2008, 6:16 AM
Anyone have one of these?
Looks pretty handy.
http://www.gorillagripper.com/legup.html

Russ Boyd
11-24-2008, 6:56 AM
No, I don't have one......YET! Thanks for the info.

Scott Myers
11-24-2008, 9:07 AM
That's a pretty slick idea. I like the little shock so it dampens the swing back.

Brent Smith
11-24-2008, 9:49 AM
Hi Bri,

Looks like a great idea, but I can't get the video to play. Might be something you'll see in my shop next time you're over :D.

Ken Garlock
11-24-2008, 10:36 AM
I too thought it was a good idea and bought one.

I have yet to be able to move a sheet of plywood from my back garage into the shop. In every instance the gripper slides off after carrying the sheet about 5 feet. It is usually breezy around our place, and the wind will swing the sheet around and assist in the gripper loosing its grip. Breezy or calm, it still does not do what I had wanted.

It might help to put some rosin on the grip surfaces.:confused: As far as I am concerned, I wasted $50.:(

However, the girl in the video makes it worthwhile.;)

Brent Smith
11-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Ken,

Bri is talking about the new product to lift sheets onto the TS surface. I have the Gorilla Gripper you're talking about. I've found the same problem as you have with it. The solution is being very careful on how you position it on the sheet. If you get it just right it will hold the sheet no problem. I still prefer my old sheet carrier, an offset handle with a channel welded to the bottom for the sheet to sit in. They're still sold, but I can't find them right now.

Brian Penning
11-24-2008, 3:38 PM
This one? Heckuva lot cheaper.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32088&cat=1,43456,43389

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/assorted/03k1801s2.jpg

Brent Smith
11-24-2008, 3:57 PM
That's the one, or very similar, Bri. I don't know why I couldn't find it on their site when I looked earlier.

Ken Garlock
11-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Hi Ken,
Bri is talking about the new product to lift sheets onto the TS surface.

Oops, thanks for the clarification. :o I tried to get to their site earlies today and for some reason couldn't make the connection. I finally got to see the video a couple minutes ago.

Regarding the new "lifter upper" I don't think it would work in my shop. I don't have too much room between the saw and the workbench, say 30 inches. For me to get a 4x8 ft sheet of plywood ready to rip requires that over half the sheet is extends onto and across the width of the bench.

There is a chance that it would not work with an Incra fence system due to the way it mounts to the end of a fence rail (if I understand the video correctly.)

BTW, I am glad to hear that I was not the Lone Ranger when it came to carrying sheet goods with the Gripper. :)

Rob Wright
11-25-2008, 10:14 AM
it's interesting that in the video you can see there is a saw kerf in the plywood edge when he his struggling with the sheet to initially put it on the table saw. That is something I have mistakenly done before:mad: