PDA

View Full Version : Serving/Silverware Trays - Christmas Presents

Brent Ring
11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
I recently have spent some time making these first 11 serving/silverware trays. I have 4 more to make. These are loosely based on a serving tray plan that Chris Schwarz did a year or so ago, with some of my own modifications.

I used English and Black Walnut, Red and White Oak, Butternut, Silver Maple, and Chestnut. All recieved one coat of Danish Oil, and then Deft Lacquer - 4 coats, sprayed, and scuffed between each coat. Two of the trays had a brushed coat of an Iron/Steel Wool ebonizing stain applied, the Maple and a red Oak. The tannins in the red oak reacted very strongly with the stain. If I had coated twice, I would have gotten a very black finish. As it is, the oak appears more weathered, which is a look my sister will like.

These were a learning experience, as I used my Incra lite fence system on my router to do the box joints and half-dovetails. I gained resawing and jointing experience as well.

I have 4 more to do, a bit bigger, and all out of black walnut - my LOML absolutely loves the black walnut. I will add some further pics and details of those when I get them finished.

Sorry for the pic quality. Photography is NOT my hobby :eek:- woodworking is!:)

John Thompson
11-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Very attractive trays and a great idea for gifts...

Sarge..

Jack Camillo
11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Very nice production run, Brent.
jack