PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Bowls

Tom Bucanan
11-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Do you guys rough turn your natural edge bowls? Or, do you turn them thin when they're green, let them dry, and then sand them?

Toney Robertson
11-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Do you guys rough turn your natural edge bowls? Or, do you turn them thin when they're green, let them dry, and then sand them?

Tom

You can do it either way. I think it is just a matter of personal preference.

Toney

Tom Bucanan
11-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Are there pros or cons to either method?

Toney Robertson
11-24-2008, 7:42 AM
Are there pros or cons to either method?

Tom,

If you turn it to finish then let it dry and warp the sanding process becomes harder IMO because of the warped shape. But you can finish the bowl in a shorter time.

Turning to 10%, drying and then returning it to the lathe takes more time and patience. You end up with a round bowl and sanding is easier.

Some like the look of a warped bowl, some can't stand a bowl that is not perfectly round.

Try both and see which one suits you.

Toney

Jeff Nicol
11-24-2008, 7:57 AM
Tom, If you want the bark to stay on the best time of the year is when the sap is done flowing, so then the fall or early spring before the sap rises. But even then sometimes the bark will come off on some trees. But all the advice so far I am in agreement with. Have fun and the mystery of wood half the inticement!

Jeff

Raymond Overman
11-24-2008, 8:08 AM
My preference is turn green to finish and let it warp. You're not getting that big of a difference in the way it looks and I've had better luck with the bark staying on that way. Either way will work though.

By the way, I leave the tenon on after turning to finished thickness and put it back in the chuck for sanding. I don't turn the lathe back on. I just rotate it by hand while using an angled drill. It's more stable than holding it by hand.

Good luck.

Jim Becker
11-24-2008, 9:43 AM
What species affects this, too. Those species that move a lot as they dry are probably best turned to finish and hand sanded later. Those less prone to warping can be done either way. But it's kinda a personal choice.