PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Vessel. (my 4th vessel) Please Critique

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-23-2008, 9:52 PM
Here's my 4th completed vessel. It's walnut about 6" tall with wall thickness of about 1/8". Hollowed down to about 3/8" from the bottom, making this a very light piece. High goss finish. The High gloss finish is hard for me to photo. ( lots of reflections ) It makes it looks like there's a lighter color almost like sap wood near the top but there is No Sap wood at all. The whole vessel is dark rich walnut brown. it also looks like there is a small ledge at the bottom of the rimm. Once again there is not.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Joe that is beautiful. I like the shiney finish.

Toney Robertson
11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Joe,

Very nice. I love walnut and it appears that you have a beautiful piece.

The form is quite elegant.

I am sure the pictures do not do it justice.

Toney

Brian Brown
11-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Beautiful piece Joe. Nice form, wood, and finish. Yes, the glossy stuff is misery to photograph. I really like this piece, but since you asked for a critique, Maybe I could mention one tiny detail for future pieces. You have avery graceful body with a gently sloping "curve of perfection". Then when the graceful curve arrives at the collar, the line changes a bit abruptly into the collar. I think I would like to see the collar continue with the gentle curve, but it really is a minor detail. Very nice. I hope I can create a finish that nice someday.

Neal Addy
11-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Exquisite piece, Joe! I see nothing to even nit-pick. You've got a gorgeous, graceful curve down the entire length of the body, nice tapered base, and the raised rim draws the eye inside of the piece. I see what Brian is talking about with the abrupt transition into the collar but I think it works on this piece given the relatively short shoulder. To each his own.

You're right about high-gloss being a pain to photograph. You've done very well with this. My only criticism would be to turn off the date stamp. Why divert attention away from such a wonder piece?

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Exceptional piece Joe! Love the form, the wood and the high gloss finish! The high gloss stuff is a pain to photograph but I actually like seeing some of the reflections on these pieces as it truly shows the quality of finish. Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Jon Lanier
11-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Oh... what a beauty. Love every bit of it!

Robert McGowen
11-24-2008, 12:20 AM
That is very nice with a real "formal" look to it. Great job!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-24-2008, 1:00 AM
I agree with Robert. I like the piece and it has a very formal taste to it. Very nicely done sir!

Jim Becker
11-24-2008, 9:44 AM
Joe, this is an outstanding effort. Nothing to critique on the piece that I can see. But as you most likely noticed, very shiny pieces are very hard to photograph! Those "hot spots" are evidence of that.

Rich Stewart
11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I really like this one. I am curious as to your method of getting rid of the pores in the walnut. I have had some luck with sanding sealer, but yours is more better. Great piece.

TYLER WOOD
11-24-2008, 5:59 PM
I agree that this is a beautiful piece. I love the form of the body, very long and elegant. I feel that the rim does not quite fit though. You have the grease and slow slopes of the body, to a stright collar. I probably would like to see it rolled maybe. Just my opinion, but hey, you turned it. From the reading I have done, and studying forms in books......it's what your eye likes and wants. The small details are what you want, as long as proportions are nice, the rest is up to you.

Curt Fuller
11-24-2008, 7:07 PM
They don't get much nicer than that!

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-24-2008, 8:30 PM
:D:D Thanks everyone for your positive comments.:) As to the short straight rimm, well truth be known that's not what I originaly wanted. It was suspose to have a neck and flared out top rimm. But as I was turning the neck portion I was briefly distracted and cut right through the neck:( Remember I was turning everything to 1/8" wall thickness.
So anyway to salvage the piece I just cut the top rimm down to about 1/8" high and hoped for the best.

Neal Addy
11-24-2008, 8:35 PM
I call that a successful "design opportunity".

Don't worry, we won't tell anyone. ;)

Richard Madison
11-24-2008, 8:42 PM
Joe,
Agree with what Neal said. Beautiful piece. I used to do those deep, high gloss finishes (lotta work), and am curious what finish material(s) was used.

michael gallagher
11-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Joe, that looks really nice and look at that shine!

TYLER WOOD
11-25-2008, 2:12 PM
Well with that known. Good job on the recovery effort.:cool: