PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1220

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2008, 6:24 PM
Well the C-man (Palmgren lathe) finally bit the dust. I am not fixing it again. So to the metal pile it goes. I have replaced the capacitors 3 times, 3 sets of belts, the arm for the speed control twice and this time I think the motor went. I am thinking of replacing it with a Jet 1220VS. I have also looked at the Grizzly 1220VS. I was told when you take a heavy cut that it speeds up or at least the speed changes. The 4 or 5 who have bought the Grizzly says fit and finish are pretty good. Better than they expected and has plenty of power. Have any of you that have the Jet 1220 VS noticed any speed changes when you load it down? I will probably go with it since it has a 5 yr warranty and want the variable speed. Thanks.

Dan Bertenthal
11-23-2008, 6:54 PM
Bernie,
I have the regular Jet 1220, not the VS version so I can't comment on the motor, but I can attest that it's a rock-solid unit with stability far beyond what you'd expect for it's size. Jet's customer service was terrific the one time I had an issue early on.
Regards,
Dan

Philip Morris
11-23-2008, 8:16 PM
Bernie,
I took delivery of a 1220 VS a couple of weeks ago. Have only finish turned an 8" dia. semi-enclosed vessel (aready roughed, dried and warped). I used a combination of bowl scrapers to finish hollowing it out. I will admit I was able to stall it using an 1.5" wide heavy bowl scraper on the low speed turning 200 rpms, but I am sure I could do the same thing with that scraper on a lot of larger lathes. I have not noticed any variation in rpm.

Let me respond to comments about torque loss. I don't have a means of measuring torque other than the reaction of the lathe to a tool. It seems to have more than adequate torque. Keep in mind that the pulley arrangement on the VS is the same as the non-VS model. So it makes since that there will be some torque loss on a DC motor when the speed is reduced. However, I would rather have a 200 rpm low speed (60% turn down on the motor) with less torque than a low speed of 500 rpm. I would guess that the torque of both lathes at 500 rpm is similar.

One other item about the motor. Mine made a slight ticking noise while running. If the lathe itself did not run so quiet, I probably would not have noticed. Called Jet Tech Support and placed the phone by the motor. He said that it should not hurt anything, but acknowledged it was not normal. He said that he would send me a new one and that I should just keep the old one. No questions, no hassle.

If you decide to go with the Jet, check out McGivern Hydraulics. He is a friend of Doug Thompson, Thompson Lathe Tools. His delivered price was over $100 less than the other online sources. His website is:

http://www.hydraulicpartsnow.com/WoodMetalWorking/WoodLathesJWL1220JWL1220VS/tabid/490/Default.aspx

Jim Becker
11-23-2008, 8:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken...the issue is in the "library"...the latest issue of Fine Woodworking (#202) has a little review of the Jet 1220. Seems like a nice lathe and a good buy for the money.

Paul Stroik
11-23-2008, 8:57 PM
I have had the Jet 1220vs since April '08 and have not experienced any problems so far. (Ahh, but now that I have spoken).

Wilbur Pan
11-23-2008, 9:53 PM
Just curious -- don't you have one of the Nova DVR lathes? If so, why are you looking to get a mini/midi-lathe as well? I recently was able to upgrade from a 10" swing lathe to a 16" inch swing lathe, and I can't think of any reason why I would want an additional mini-lathe around my shop.

Reed Gray
11-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Bernie,
After taking a 3 day work shop with Bonnie Klein, and deciding that I needed to do some threaded boxes, I got her jig and a Jet 1220 variable speed lathe. I was surprised at how much torque it has, and I had a PM, and now have a Robust (there were some problems in adapting her threading jig to the Robust, like 7 inch height compensation). I consider the attached light to be worthless because it is too short, and only takes 40 watts. I can wrap it around my dust collector hose, to keep it in place, so maybe not totally worthless. I do have a problem with the off/on switch, and after posting here and at WC, it seems that almost every one else does as well. Mine stuck in the on position. The store where I got it replaced it, and this one went out in an hour or so. I now have it plugged into a multi strip, which works fine. Others have just replaced the switch with one from the local hardware store. One friend says that it doesn't take to bowls too well because the bearings are too close together for that kind of load, but I am turning boxes on it.
robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks all for your comments.

Wilbur I am getting it for small projects. I will do like I said lidded boxes, ornaments, mini birdhouses, bottle stoppers, etc. The Nova most times has either my bowl coring unit or the articulating arm or captured unit on it or am in the process of turning bowls on it. I am to lazy to take the time to setup for small projects.

Reed I have seen the issue with the on/off switch. I can get a heavy duty switch from the local hardware store to take care of that problem.

Scott Conners
11-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Phillip - the clicking in the motor is probably the brushes crossing the gap in the commutator, and is normal for a DC motor. Does it seem to come from behind the brush access plugs?

Wilbur Pan
11-24-2008, 2:41 PM
Wilbur I am getting it for small projects. I will do like I said lidded boxes, ornaments, mini birdhouses, bottle stoppers, etc. The Nova most times has either my bowl coring unit or the articulating arm or captured unit on it or am in the process of turning bowls on it. I am too lazy to take the time to setup for small projects.

Obviously, I need to get more fancy toys for my big lathe so I can start thinking about getting a mini lathe. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2008, 4:50 PM
Obviously, I need to get more fancy toys for my big lathe so I can start thinking about getting a mini lathe. ;)

Errr don't you mean more fancy tools Wilbur???:eek:;):cool::rolleyes:

robert hainstock
11-24-2008, 5:14 PM
Bernie,
I've been running my 1220 vs in the highest speed mode for some time, and have expirienced no loss of torque with any thing Ive tried. I did however have a power switch failure in the first hour of operation, (stuck on). This was an epidemic in Sept-Oct. I would call and ask if the Jet folk have found a cure. My overall rating though is that it is an excellant machine. And yes folks it is my sercond shop lathe. :)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks again for the info. I probably will give one a look see this weekend. The LOML says it will probably follow me home kinda like a puppy dog.:D:rolleyes:;):cool: One good thing it won't need paper trained.:eek:

Bob Noles
11-25-2008, 5:48 AM
Bernie,

I would be very interested in your thoughts on this model when you get it. I have been thinking of upgrading my 1014 to a little larger lathe and this one may be just the ticket.

Pete Jordan
11-25-2008, 9:52 PM
Hey Bernie,

What happened to the Rikon?

Barry Stratton
11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
So is this lathe # 5 or 6?????:D:confused:

Just go ahead and buy the mustard.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Nope just got 2 now Barry. Jet will be 3. Sold my big table saw, jointer, and planer as they were just collecting dust for the last 2 yrs. So decided to stick the money back in a lathe to replace the C-man. Still have my small delta table saw and the sliding compound mitre saw plus the bandsaw so will be ok there.

Pete the Rikon is now awaiting bearings. I had the articulating arm setup on the Nova and used the Rikon to hog a few bowls. My fault as I was in a hurry and hogging it down to much. I did about 6 rough outs one after the other and the headstock got mighty warm. A few days later went to turn some bottle stoppers and it made a awful grinding sound. So ordered bearings and they said 10 days to 2 weeks. It was my fault for not paying attention. Got a lot of small stuff to get done for Christmas so decided when the C-man bit the dust I would replace it with another small one. Plus variable speed.:D:p Yes and I still like the little Rikon.

Besides I didn't want to say anything but the LOML has been coming to the shop and was hoping she might give it a go one of these days.

Wilbur Pan
11-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Errr don't you mean more fancy tools Wilbur???:eek:;):cool::rolleyes:

Oh, yes, tools. I meant tools.

(Sorry -- didn't know SWMBO was watching. ;))

Rusty Smith
11-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Bernie,
Where will you be getting your lathe? Is there a dealer way out there in the Wild, Wild West?

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2008, 8:56 PM
Bernie,
Where will you be getting your lathe? Is there a dealer way out there in the Wild, Wild West?

Rusty I am going to Denver Saturday to pick it up at Rocklers. They had one in stock so I gave them my CC and told them to hold it for me. I told them would be out Saturday. Of course the SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) will be going to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and to the Mall so guess I had better follow to carry the bags.:eek:;):rolleyes::cool: