PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for moisture meter and metal detector

Brian Hale
06-04-2004, 8:52 PM
I've got that pile of chestnut drying out in the basement and i'll need a meter and something to find all the hidden nails before i start machining it.

What do I look for?

Brian :)

John Bush
06-04-2004, 11:34 PM
I reclaimed an old barn's pine timbers,and felt a metal detector wasn,t necessary until I hit a cut nail with my worm drive saw. The nail literally exploded in my face. All of a sudden $100.00 wasn't that big of a deal. I got a catalogue of security supplies that a police friend had and ordered a Garrett Super Scanner Metal Detector. It is a paddle type with 10" sensor surface. It is the same type used frequently in airport security checks. It is very sensitive and I haven't hit any metal since. I've even found several old lead bullets. I got this before any types were marketed to woodworkers so I can't make a comparison, but spending a few extra $$ for a good reliable sensor is cheaper than a prosthetic eye and damaged machinery. The Co. info:
Garrett SurerScanner Mod.#1165170
Garrett Co.
Security Div.
1881 W. State St. Garland Tx
972-949-6151
I used it for the 8"x8" and 10"x10" timbers and didn"t miss any metal, or I should say I didn"t hit any metal. Goog Luck.

Gary Whitt
06-07-2004, 9:15 AM
This is the moisture meter that I have:

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/E212DBFE/mac/additmdtl.mac/showItemDetail?item=MO10000&qtyA=0&phsO=N&desc=KLINGSPOR%20MOISTURE%20METER%20*%2B&drpshp=N&alOrd=Y&iQty=.000&oQty=.000&initQty=1&itemForSale=Y&styleName=&fixD=&face=.00&gftc=&stck=Y&prefS=&calledFrom=DS&ordInfo1=&ordInfo2=&ordInfo3=&ordMan1=N&ordMan2=N&ordMan3=N&persCode=&persReqd=&persLink=

I don't have a metal detector yet. :(