PDA

View Full Version : Large Plug cutters

Adam Grills
11-23-2008, 6:17 PM
Anyone know where I can get a 4 1/2" plug cutter in HSS?
Adam

Tom Veatch
11-23-2008, 6:40 PM
Can't say no such thing exists, but I've never seen one that large. One that size would probably be called a "tenon cutter". Those, I have seen up to about 2.5".

A couple of alternatives come to mind, depending of the particular need. The core left from a hole saw may work but I doubt you'll find one that cuts a plug exactly 4.5". Another option might be a fly cutter. However, both of those, used in the "standard" manner will leave a center hole which might be a show stopper.

Kirk Poore
11-24-2008, 9:32 AM
If you use the fly cutter, you could plug the center hole with a dowel.

Another alternative would be to turn a cylinder on a lathe then cross-cut sections on a bandsaw. I think the lathe would be the way to go if you're doing more than one or two. Fly cutters can be kind of, well, exciting unless you've got a really hefty DP.

Kirk

Jamie Buxton
11-24-2008, 10:52 AM
A third way to cut a plug that big would be with a plunge router guided by a template. That would avoid having to fill the center hole made by a fly cutter. You can make the template with the fly cutter. They're a little less scary if they're cutting, say, 1/4" MDF.

Lee Schierer
11-24-2008, 12:54 PM
You can use a circle cutting jig with a router to cut a circle this size. You could make a variation of the standard circle jig for use on a router table. Attach a thin piece of material to the finished piece with double sided tape. Put the hole int eh thin stock and cut your cirle. Then remove the thin material from it and it should be hole free.

Here is one that you might consider:

Circle Cutter (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10404&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=se&utm_campaign=2008)