PDA

View Full Version : I wish to publicly thank all of you that encouraged me.

Toney Robertson
11-23-2008, 5:27 PM
I took Robert McGowen's advice "I would guess that you would not feel any WORSE if you were turned down again, so you only have one way to go from here!" and reapplied to the juried Indiana Artisan Development Project by the Indiana Arts Commission. This time I was ACCEPTED. :D

I went to one of their meetings Thursday and it appears that by being accepted I am included in their marketing plan to develop an Indiana brand of products. They will have a website that was described as an Amazon of Indiana goods. They are promising trade shows where retailers will talk to the various artists about selling the artist's work. Workshops, grants and other help has been promised.

To say I am pleased is an understatement. There is two categories, art and food. Between the two, 85 artists juried in which was aprox. 21% of those that applied. To my knowledge I am the only turner. So all of you Indiana turners need to apply.

So thank you, Brian Brown, Robert Hainstock, Ken Fitzgerald, Steve Schlumpf, Curt Fuller, Reed Gray, Tom Keen, Phillip Bogle and anyone one else that had kind words for me. The encouraging words helped keep me in the shop.

Toney

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2008, 5:35 PM
Congrats Toney!

When you have your heart set on something.....Go for it!

ROY DICK
11-23-2008, 5:48 PM
Toney,
Congratulations on sticking with it. We wish you nothing, but the vey best in your endevor.
Ain't this the best forum going? I think so.
Please keep us posted on your future success.

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2008, 6:16 PM
Congrats Toney. Way to stick to it. My grandmother always told me good things comes to those that wait. Good job.

Alan Trout
11-23-2008, 6:49 PM
Congratulations and I wish you the best.

Alan

Richard Madison
11-23-2008, 7:11 PM
Way to go Toney! As mentioned, please keep us posted on how it is going. There might be similar programs in other states, so your experience could be very helpful to others.

Bernie, the other half of your grandmother's advice is "if they work like h*** while they wait". It was one of my father's favorite sayings too.

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2008, 7:52 PM
Thank you Toney, for the public recognition, but the reality of the whole thing is that we all simply saw that the talent was already there and did what we could to let you know that a lot of us had faith in you. Glad to see you took Robert's advice and reapplied! I am looking forward to finding out all the different doors that have opened for you as a result of being accepted!

Seriously, congratulations! We are all proud of you!

Don Carter
11-23-2008, 8:02 PM
Toney:
Congratulations! I knew it was just a matter of time. You do great work, don't sell yourself short.
All the best.

Don

Brian Brown
11-23-2008, 8:38 PM
CONGRATS TONEY! Your experience is a real incentive for others to keep trying. We definitely want to know how things go. As Richard said, there may be other states that have similar programs, or at least knowing how this Indiana's works may help others promote the idea, and create a similar program in their state.

Toney Robertson
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Some more information.

Indiana's program is based on three other states. North Carolina, West Virginia and Kentucky. I know that Kentucky has brand of Kentucky made products.

It looks like Indiana has taken a little of each of them and put together their own program. It is just in it's infancy (about 1 year)but I think and hope that it will really help artisans out (I have a hard time calling myself an artisan).

There was three different governmental organizations at the meeting. The Indiana Arts Commission, Tourism department and IIRC urban affairs. The lieutenant governor is involved and since she just was re-elected for four years I assume that backing will continue.

Ball State University is heading the workshops for the government. They are day long FREE workshops that are meant to help with marketing and other business problems faced by artisans.

Once again, the great people here make this is a wonderful place to air your problems and the occasional triumph.

Toney

Robert McGowen
11-24-2008, 12:19 AM
And for my first post since a total knee replacement 3 weeks, 5 days, and 16 hours ago: VERY NICE RESULTS FROM A POSITIVE ATTITUDE, TONEY!

P.S. The spalted maple I got from you still looks nice sitting in the box on my kitchen table! :( :( :(

Jim Becker
11-24-2008, 9:26 AM
Congratulations, Toney...that's great news!