PDA

View Full Version : Built this simple Drill Press Table!

Gary Lange
11-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I put this simple Drill Press Table together for resting parts to be drill. It shoould work out well I think.
Here is a front view.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/DrillPressTable-1.jpg
This is a top view.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/DrillPressTable-2.jpg

Dennis Meek
11-23-2008, 2:04 PM
Gary

I like it! May have to finally build one for my drill press. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

Jim Kountz
11-23-2008, 2:46 PM
Look great! One thing you may want to think about it rout out a small square recess say about 5x5 or so directly under the chuck and drop in a sacrificial piece of 1/4" ply or something similar. Then when it gets all buggered up you can simply pop it out and replace it with another. I did this on mine and its been a nice feature when you want to clean bore though something with no tearout.

Bill Huber
11-23-2008, 3:01 PM
Looks like it should work just fine, it's flat and has a fence, what more could you ask for.

I do agree with Jim, it would be nice to have an area in the center under the drill that you could replace. I made mine a circle so I could just turn it a little and it would have a clean area, gives you a little long use then a square one.

Jim Kountz
11-23-2008, 3:07 PM
Looks like it should work just fine, it's flat and has a fence, what more could you ask for.

I do agree with Jim, it would be nice to have an area in the center under the drill that you could replace. I made mine a circle so I could just turn it a little and it would have a clean area, gives you a little long use then a square one.

Bill thats a great idea, I never would have thought of making it round but it makes perfect sense! Ever have any trouble of it spinning though?

Bill Huber
11-23-2008, 3:15 PM
Bill thats a great idea, I never would have thought of making it round but it makes perfect sense! Ever have any trouble of it spinning though?

I don't have it set to drill in the center, on the inside half is where I do all my drilling, then when I need a new area, just turn it a little.

David DeCristoforo
11-23-2008, 3:15 PM
Sweet. Now make a "double decker" attachment for it with a 2" hole. Chuck in a small sanding drum and then raise the table up until the end of the drum is in the hole. "Presto", instant mini drum sander with "manual oscillation".....

Tom Henderson2
11-23-2008, 3:28 PM
Hi Gary-

Looks nice.

How did you attach it to the DP table?

-TH

Jim Becker
11-23-2008, 3:52 PM
Very nice...and very similar to the one that I put on my own DP a few years ago. The only difference is that I routed the tee slots, rather than using aluminum extrusions. My fence also has a lower spot in the middle to allow the quill and chuck to be able to go all the way down without the fence interfering with it. This is a great project that everyone should do for their DP, IMHO, if they are using it for woodworking.

Gary Lange
11-23-2008, 4:41 PM
Thanks everyone! I will have to make a cutout in the center of the table for the sacrificial wood piece I like that idea and the drum sander would work as well.

I attached it to the drill presses metal table by using teenuts that I hid between the two 3/4" pieces of plywood. Some bolts and washers and I can attach or remove it with ease.

Jim Kountz
11-23-2008, 5:57 PM
I don't have it set to drill in the center, on the inside half is where I do all my drilling, then when I need a new area, just turn it a little.

Now thats just slicker than deer guts on a doorknob!! :D:D:D:D
I'll be stealing that idea from you Bill!!

Matt Ocel
11-24-2008, 3:22 PM
So many jigs.
So little time.:D

Mike Hess
11-24-2008, 3:33 PM
Thanks everyone! I will have to make a cutout in the center of the table for the sacrificial wood piece I like that idea and the drum sander would work as well.

I attached it to the drill presses metal table by using teenuts that I hid between the two 3/4" pieces of plywood. Some bolts and washers and I can attach or remove it with ease.

If you make the circular cutout in just the right spot (like the one Bill Huber detailed), you could pop out the circle, and pop in a crescent shape for the drum sander. Or make several sizes of circular inserts with several sizes of circular cutouts located off-center for different sized drums

Kevin Davis
11-24-2008, 3:58 PM
Gary,

Like you, I started and modified. I decided to beef it up so I could drill some 3/4" holes as I found it challenging to hold some pieces down and wanted to use the Lee Valley Surface Clamps I had. I do a bit of mortise work and added the stops for repeatability. Overall, real happy with the results.

Kevin

Lee Schierer
11-24-2008, 4:11 PM
Sweet. Now make a "double decker" attachment for it with a 2" hole. Chuck in a small sanding drum and then raise the table up until the end of the drum is in the hole. "Presto", instant mini drum sander with "manual oscillation".....

I already have one of those with different sized inserts for the five sizes of sanding drums I have for my DP! I can hook a vacuum hose to the side and pull air down around the drums while I'm sanding and I get no dust in the air.

I like Gary's design and willl probably borrow some of his ideas for a similar table for mine. First I have to get the Christmas projects done.

Dewey Torres
11-24-2008, 7:56 PM
Here is what I did... square idea for the insert. I made it it fit 1/4 mdf and cut about 5 extra which should last me a while (pic 1).

Also is a shot of underneath showing how I secured it to the drill press base (pic2).

Lastly, there are a LOT of ways to build these and just as many accessories for them so I am posting this excellent thread which I used to get tons of ideas:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77225&highlight=drill+press+table

Ray Schafer
11-24-2008, 10:10 PM
That is cool. They are all great and have given me some ideas for building my own. I tend to do the "rough" versions since I try to take minimum time for jigs and maximize time for furniture. I have young kids and time is limited!

I really get jealous, though, when I see this beautiful jigs and fixtures!

Ray

Ray Schafer
11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Ok, I looked at the link and now my head is spinning! I can't believe what great ideas everyone has for a drill press table. This is going on my spring project list!

pat warner
11-24-2008, 11:33 PM
For very close (http://patwarner.com/images/drilling2.jpg) work in metal, plastic & wood.

James White
12-20-2008, 3:27 PM

Bill,

Is that MDF that you used for the table in the pic? I know I have seen that before. I just don't know what it is. Perhaps MDF with some kind of finish on it. Were can I get it? Is it pricey?

James

Steven DeMars
12-20-2008, 4:51 PM
I put this simple Drill Press Table together for resting parts to be drill. It shoould work out well I think.
Here is a front view.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/DrillPressTable-1.jpg
This is a top view.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/DrillPressTable-2.jpg

I like simple, that way I may actually get around to building one . . .Not quite sure what the black knobs do, they don't appear to lined up with the "t" track . . . How do you adjust the fence?

Steve

Bill Huber
12-20-2008, 5:16 PM
I like simple, that way I may actually get around to building one . . .Not quite sure what the black knobs do, they don't appear to lined up with the "t" track . . . How do you adjust the fence?

Steve

The black knobs are what you loosen to adjust the fence......

Bill Huber
12-20-2008, 5:27 PM
Bill,

Is that MDF that you used for the table in the pic? I know I have seen that before. I just don't know what it is. Perhaps MDF with some kind of finish on it. Were can I get it? Is it pricey?

James

James, that is just old HD MDF with some finish I had let from other projects and I wanted to seal it some way and that's what I did. If I was doing it again, which I may do some day I won't put a finish on it, its very slick.

I have changed the fence a little after what Jim Becker said about his fence I changed mine and added a little to the stops so the chuck will not hit them also.

Keith Outten
12-20-2008, 6:24 PM
Nice drill table Pat..very nice :)

Rick Potter
12-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Gary,

May I suggest you consider clipping the front corners at a 45. I built one like yours, clipped the corners, and banded it with some scrap hardwood. Now, when I walk into it (don't ask), there are no sharp edges. I have done this with several tool tables, because one of my grandkids almost walked right into one, and it was at eye level for him.

Rick Potter

Mike Wellner
12-21-2008, 1:19 AM
Where did you get the blue t-slots from?

Charles Seehuetter Panama City
12-21-2008, 8:27 AM
Where did you get the blue t-slots from?

You can get it here. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5325&cs=1

But I prefer these:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/ttrack_list.htm

Just my $.02

Ken Gardiner
12-21-2008, 9:50 AM
Hi (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=34868#)

This is my first post. I recently designed and built a drill press table that may be of interest to someone. I have tried to make reproduction simple for those who are willing to download "Sketchup" and spend some time getting familiar with that program (free). It has opened a new world for me.

Ken Gardiner

Sketchup model can be found by searching 3D warehouse for models by "kengsr" or for "drill press table".

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=34868#)

glenn bradley
12-21-2008, 10:25 AM

That is a great one isn't it? Thanks Bill! My table was a commercial model but, having seen Bill's idea in a previous thread, I mounted the table off center a bit and can use four separate quadrants of my square insert. Not as cool as a circle but I would have gone for dead center if not for Bill's contribution.

Roy Bennett
12-22-2008, 1:55 PM
:confused: How do you guys prevent the table elevation crank from hitting the DP table?