PDA

View Full Version : self, why dost thou torment me so

Neal Clayton
11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
my helper and i were out in the shop on friday after assembling my new jointer, figuring on the perfect spot to put it on the one remaining clear wall.

this is what we came up with...

in these situations i always like to apply the 'nostradamus' method of dealing with the problem (aka not dealing with it, just talking about it in a series of future 'what ifs'. future problems aren't really problems are they? at least not yet...)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Neal,

I'd say the switches for your jointer should stay cool and never overheat as the A/C continues to work. Of course, you can replace the A/C from outside I hope.:confused:

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-23-2008, 12:02 PM
That's a pretty cool machine. Literally :)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Neal,

One thing that could happen.....with the controls sitting right in front of the A/C that way....you could get the metal so cold that condensation could form inside the control box and eventually you could have some resultant electrical problems. I have seen corrosion caused by similar things cause intermittant electrical problems.....bad connections and even shorts.

Jim Becker
11-23-2008, 3:38 PM
Well...can you move the A/C unit to the top of the window? That's where I have mine!

Ben Rafael
11-23-2008, 4:00 PM
Turn the a/c around and you will have a real bad dust collection system for the jointer.

curtis rosche
11-23-2008, 4:38 PM
or, take the switch off, and remount some where more conveinent, it doesnt look like its in the best place to reach in an emergency in that picture

Phil Thien
11-23-2008, 4:49 PM
But won't the air conditioner make the nice cast iron very cold, and then can't you expect condensation on it, and then rust?

Could you add a deflector to the air conditioner to fire the cool air up, or down?

Neal Clayton
11-23-2008, 7:41 PM
Turn the a/c around and you will have a real bad dust collection system for the jointer.

good idea!

either way, it doesn't matter for about 4-5 more months, considering we didn't see 40 degrees on friday that A/C isn't getting much use lately.

Well...can you move the A/C unit to the top of the window? That's where I have mine!

maybe. might involve sledgehammer and/or sawzall. problem being the building has quite a bit of lean to it (3-4 inches at the upstairs floor, at least, probably 8-10 inches total). the previous owners did pour a footing underneath each side to stabilize it, and since it's old style very thick stucco on 1/2 rebar it isn't gonna fall, but it is anything but square and level, which means the windows, believe it or not, don't exactly move up and down with the greatest of ease ;).

curtis rosche
11-23-2008, 8:10 PM
shouldve listen to the voice in your head, that said :rolleyes:"go for the bigger jointer, and get it from steel city so that you can have the granite tables, that cant rust":eek::p. problem solved. or use it as an excuse to build a seperate/bigger shop, since the ac is taking up to much room:D

Neal Clayton
11-24-2008, 10:52 AM
they actually make a granite table jointer?

edit: holy crap, googled it and they do. i skimmed across that once on here and thought it was a joke.