View Full Version : Link belts on a cabinet saw?

John Ricci
11-23-2008, 9:19 AM
I'm curious about using link belts on my cab saw and how well they stand up to the power of a 3hp motor. I use them on my drill press (1hp) and they really smooth things out a lot. The saw is a General 650R which uses 2 belts as opposed to the usual 3 on a cab saw. I wouldn't want to spend the money on the belts only to have the motor tear them up. Opinions?

J.R.

Fred Hargis
11-23-2008, 9:51 AM
My training on drive belts always told me that link belts were not to be used in applications that required matched sets. that's because they stretch or wear in at very different lengths. Even so, I've read many posts of folks who put them on cabinet saws and were happy with the results, but I'll not do it.

Sonny Edmonds
11-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Matched sets are matched.
Anything else, well it just isn't matched.
And by the time you realise your folly, you may have done more expensive damage to your saw.
Now wouldn't that be the pits?:eek:

Lorne Steed
11-23-2008, 2:20 PM
I have a Pioneer 3 HP cabinet that would not pass the nickel test on startup . It had three so called "matched" belts that were a terrible set and induced a lot of vibration. When i replaced the three belts with link belts ,problem was solved- no vibration and the saw passes nickel test on startup no problem. I have no fear at all about leaving the link belts on as they have been that way for months now. I would say to give it a try.

Bob Wingard
11-23-2008, 2:47 PM
Matched sets are matched.
Anything else, well it just isn't matched.
And by the time you realise your folly, you may have done more expensive damage to your saw.
Now wouldn't that be the pits?:eek:

C'mon now .. what "DAMAGE" would you anticipate as a result of using one or more link belts ?? If one belt stretches a bit, the other will pick up the load until they are equal, and you'll never even realize it happened. I've used them on a 6 belt sheave on a 60 hp setup in a separator/classifier mill with no ill effects. We put them on as a stopgap measure 'cause we didn't have a matched set and if we waited for one, it would take 2 days. It caused a line to be down, at an anticipated cost of $80K/hr, so we took a chance. The belts were still there when I retired 2 years ago, and I suspect they've never been changed.

CPeter James
11-23-2008, 3:26 PM
As an alternative to the link belts from Fenner, I have been using high quality BX series belts. These are the notched ones. They are machined on the sides to give a smooooth surface that rides in the pulleys and the notches allow them to go around small diameters more easily. They only cost a couple of dollars more than the hardware store belts, but the difference in performance is significant. I had link belts on almost everyting at one time, but have switched away to the BX and been very happy.

CPeter

Richard McComas
11-23-2008, 3:37 PM
I have had link belts on a 5hp table saw with 3 pulleys for at least 6 years, if there is a problem I can't tell it.

Jim Becker
11-23-2008, 3:50 PM
While a matched set is preferable, I had zero problems with link belts on the Jet cabinet saw I used to own and it eliminated the "bang" upon cold startup when the traditional belts were cold and "set".

John Ricci
11-23-2008, 4:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, the problem is not one of vibration but that if I don't use the saw for a time the belts take a bit of a set. This goes away when I run it but the link belts never seem to have this problem no matter how long they sit. My saw is only a few months old and in perfect running condition. The only thing I have had to do so far was to tighten the belts a bit after a couple of months of use to cure a small startup "bump" the saw had developed once the belts were broken in.

The opinions I have received here and elsewhere are a mix of "yes/no" re the link belts so for now I will simply leave it the way it is and keep making sawdust until I wear the belts to the point that they have to be changed.

J.R.

Peter Quinn
11-23-2008, 6:30 PM
I have a matched set of VX belts on my powermatic 66, smooth as a kitten, sometimes goes weeks without being run. I have switched several machines to VX belts and impressed by their performance. I can't see what damage link belts could do other than to your wallet.

Russ Massery
11-23-2008, 7:16 PM
Ditto on Jim's reply. I've had them on my Grizzly 1023 for five years now. No problem.

Steve Clardy
11-23-2008, 8:37 PM
Ditto on Jim's reply. I've had them on my Grizzly 1023 for five years now. No problem.

Another ditto on my 1023. About 8 years now.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-23-2008, 9:32 PM
My $.02. Link belts are a waste of money. A good quality v-belt is far superior. This comes from making a living with equipment that uses a LOT of v-belts.

Pat Germain
11-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Every time we have a discussion about link belts, we always hear from people who say they will damage machines or are a waste of money. People are entitled to their opinions, but I don't understand why anyone would be against link belts. I think they're awesome. The only disadvantage I see is they cost more than V-belts.

John Ricci
11-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Pat, I cant see any particular way that link belts could damage a machine either. I have had them on my 1hp DP for 3 years without any visible wear...my main concern with the TS was that the General uses 2 belts instead of 3 with 3hp and wondered if it might be too much for them under a heavy load. The cost would seem irrelevant given that they are supposed to last several times longer than v belts. I'm all for long term saving$.

J.R.

Ben Martin
11-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Is there a source where you can buy Link Belts in bulk? I need about 20 ft. of them (that is if each machine uses about 4 ft.).

John Ricci
11-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Ben, I'm in Canada so I don't think I can be of much help to you but someone else here could offer up a source I'm sure.

J.R.

Glenn Shotwell
11-23-2008, 11:17 PM
you mention VX belts and someone before mentioned BX belts. Just curious, if you could explain more what they are.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Every time we have a discussion about link belts, we always hear from people who say they will damage machines or are a waste of money. People are entitled to their opinions, but I don't understand why anyone would be against link belts. I think they're awesome. The only disadvantage I see is they cost more than V-belts.

I'm not against them Pat, they won't damage your machine, and it's your money, spend as you like, but...

Every time they are discussed, there seems to be a mad rush to "upgrade" to a link belt. Yes, maybe some asian belts are junk and will get a set, or wear out on a tablesaw or something, but a good quality v belt will not. To put it into perspective, remember when link belts where sold as a must have for everyones emergency kits for your cars? I think Fingerhut sold them.

As for them lasting longer, how? There are a bunch more moving parts, which usually equates to failures.

These things always get brought up, but proof is rarely offered. If they really are better, don't you suppose that major equipment manufactures would want to make them standard and promote the heck out of them?

As I said before, it's your money, do as you like, but I think it would be better spent on something else.

glenn bradley
11-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Having the belts torn up shouldn't be a problem. Many industrial applications involve ganged belts transferring substantially more power than most of us have in our home shops. HTH.

Danny Burns
11-24-2008, 8:18 AM
I know someone who has to make calls for fixing home furnaces, and having link belt saves having to carry a whole bunch of different size belts to each call.

Perhaps convience isn't at the top of the list for woodworkers, but for others it is.

Jeff Duncan
11-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Seems like most of the responses are guys that have used them for some amount of time successfully and like them, or guys that haven't used them but feel they're not much good.
Well I'm another fan of them. And I also wouldn't worry about losing power, the odds are even if you only ran one belt, you would never encounter slipping unless it was incredibly loose. I've had 2 link belts on my Uni for over a decade. It sees several hours of use a day and I have never had any problems b/c of them. I never bought a third b/c it really just doesn't need it. I have several 5hp machines that use a lot more torque and only use 2 belts. I use two and leave the middle groove open.
Manufacturers are not going to use them b/c they cost more. If they're all scrambling to make products cheaper by the day, what possible incentive would they have to spend more $$ on link belts?
Having said that I don't think there is a huge advantage either way. I use them on several machines b/c they were well used when I bought them and needed replacing. I do find them to run a bit smoother so that's what I replaced with. But I also have most of my machines still using their stock belts. For the amount most guys use their machines either belt will last a lifetime. At the end of the day either type will work and allow you to make sawdust.
good luck,
JeffD