PDA

View Full Version : Should I or should I not...

Rich Konopka
06-04-2004, 1:34 PM
Should I or should I not buy the mobility kit from MinMax when I order my MM16? I have heard that it is not a worthy expenditure. What are you using in place of this $150 option?

Thanks

Tom Seaman
06-04-2004, 1:44 PM
Their current special (at least as of last week) included the mobility kit, 3 blades and the miter gague for $1,895 plus shipping for the MM16. Give them a call to see if the special deal is still in effect. They've been more than helpful.

BTW, I'm new here - this is my first post. I'm probably too new here for a tool gloat, but I'm picking up my new MM-16 TODAY! Can't wait! :D

Tom

Rich Konopka
06-04-2004, 1:49 PM
Their current special (at least as of last week) included the mobility kit, 3 blades and the miter gague for $1,895 plus shipping for the MM16. Give them a call to see if the special deal is still in effect. They've been more than helpful.

BTW, I'm new here - this is my first post. I'm probably too new here for a tool gloat, but I'm picking up my new MM-16 TODAY! Can't wait! :D

Tom
Thanks Tom !! I got a call this morning from my Rep Eric Lozar who is real good. I need to follow up with him. Who is your rep?

Welcome aboard. I am new here in the past month and the guys are very friendly, knowledgable, and eager to have dialouge.

Chris Padilla
06-04-2004, 2:07 PM
Rich,

I'd go ahead and get the mobility kit--do you need your BS mobile? Mine just arrived Monday...literally 1 minute to install it on my MM20 (MM16-24 use same mobility kit). I think it's a 20 mm wrench.

I think the toe bar idea is kinda cool. It takes a bit of practice to steer it but I think it is a neat idea: Insert the toe bar in the slot on the footbrake, pivot, move/steer the BS, remove the toe bar and store on the wall. You have the back wheels permanently bolted (but easy to remove) and the BS won't move using its own weight to anchor itself.

I am thinking to incorporate the toe-bar on some other machines in my shop since only two wheels are required to be permanently mounted to a mobile base.

One niggling thing about the wheels bolted to the back: the lower door bangs into the wheel not allowing you to fully open the door. This might cause heartache changing blades BUT, it is easy to remove the wheels. An extra step, a PITA, yes....

Donnie Raines
06-04-2004, 2:07 PM
Where is Chris P when you need him...... :rolleyes: :D

Ted Shrader
06-04-2004, 2:56 PM

Tom

Tom -

Welcome to the Creek. Glad you jumped in. Great place to hang out.

Regards,
Ted

Bruce Page
06-04-2004, 3:04 PM
Should I or should I not buy the mobility kit from MinMax when I order my MM16? I have heard that it is not a worthy expenditure. What are you using in place of this $150 option?

ThanksRich, I just ordered my MM16 this past Tuesday. You should be able to get the "mobility kit" thrown in for free - I did.

I hope to have mine in a couple of weeks. :D :D

Donnie Raines
06-04-2004, 3:09 PM
Where is Chris P when you need him...... :rolleyes: :D

Oooppssss....guess we were all hit the keys at the same time... :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
06-04-2004, 3:21 PM
Irony abounds.... ;)

Steven Wilson
06-04-2004, 3:44 PM
Get the mobility kit.

Rich Konopka
06-04-2004, 4:17 PM
With my trip to Vegas next week I couldn't wait and I called and ordered the MM16. They did have the $1895 special with a couple of Blades and the mobility kit. Thanks for the heads up !!

Delivery .. Get this... $289 which includes liftgate service. Wow !:eek: How does Grizzly do it for so much less?

The other good thing is they have a ship coming in and I should get mine soon.

This should be fun getting this Bad Boy down into the basement shop. And I thought the DJ20 was heavy at 420lbs...

Scott Coffelt
06-04-2004, 4:58 PM
I would say in general that Grizzly probably has more overall volume of shipments and thus gets a lower price. Also, Grizzly has more than one shipping point which will lower the costs, I would assume MM only has one point of origin. I paid $75 to get my 350 pound BS sent from Springfield, MO to Kansas City, no if it had to ship from New York or LA, I got to think it costs more.

Same thing happens with Amazon. My jointer was shipped via FedX ground at no charge. I think if they average over the total shipped it must be profitable, otherwise iIcan't see too many CEO's and CFO's explaining that one to the board and shareholders.

Bruce Page
06-04-2004, 6:28 PM
The other good thing is they have a ship coming in and I should get mine soon.
That's what they told me too so there must be some truth to it. :D ;) I think he said that the ship arrives at Houston sometime today.

Jim Becker
06-04-2004, 8:34 PM
The MM16 Mobility kit works fine. My only complaint is that the wheels keep the machine off the floor in the rear...which I rectified by putting a piece of 3/4" plywood under the base when it's stationary. I agree with the others, get it, especially if it's part of your package.

nic obie
06-05-2004, 2:19 PM
Chris,

No need to hang the johnson bar on the wall.

Flip it upside down and it hangs on the back of the machine when you stick the short lifting lever into one of the hoisting holes. (assuming the MM16 is the same as the MM20)