PDA

View Full Version : What bags do you use on your fein vac?

Andy Pratt
11-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I've got a fein turbo III and switched to a HEPA filter and bags a few months ago. I'm almost out of bags and was wondering if anyone has found a cheaper source (generic copy or the like) of bags that work with it. The Fein brand bags are pretty steep, about $5 each even in three packs. I seem to remember someone writing about using a certain bag from sears a while back, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Thanks,
Andy

Randal Stevenson
11-23-2008, 1:13 AM
I can't find the old thing I saw on the Genie stuff (don't remember if it was just the filter, or the bags as well), but I did find this:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=96384

I know I have looked for the Genie bags before after reading about that stuff. I've never found them locally though.

Dave Stuve
11-23-2008, 2:49 AM
Hi Andy,

I've got the Fein Turbo III also, and there's a cool trick - Gore (of Goretex fame) makes a HEPA filter that's made of the same tough stuff that Goretex is, and you can get away with not using a bag at all. I just dump out the Fein when it gets full. The filter is named Cleanstream for Craftsman and Rigid 'red' vacuums (model Model 09093 I'm pretty sure. ~$30ish at the BORG.) It sticks right where the Fein HEPA filter is supposed to go.

I've been using this setup happily (and bag free) for the last two years, with an occasional cleanup of the filter with another vacuum. A few months ago I added the Oneida 'Dust Deputy' to the vacuum and now I rarely have to dump out the Fein at all.

Dave

Fred Hargis
11-23-2008, 8:46 AM
I also put the Cleanstream on my TIII, much better deal than the Fein filter. But before I bought the Cleanstream, I found that the Shop Vac bags (Wal-mart) in the 10-12-14 gallon size work very well. The drywall bags are robust enough that they can be emptied and re-used.

Sonny Edmonds
11-23-2008, 9:49 AM
...use Fein bags,
then you won't get Fein results.
And if you don't get Fein results,
Well,
Why did you waste your money?
You could have gotten along Fine,
Just like me for over a decade now,
With a Ridgid and clean stream filtration.
Isn't that just Fine! :D
Exit laughing...

Kevin Groenke
11-23-2008, 1:38 PM
I've also put in the cleanstream filter and don't use bags, I've covered all of the shop vac filters in the shop with pre-filters made from ladies nylons (or mens if you're into that). All you need to to is snap the nylon occasionally to clean the filter. When the cleanstream starts to get clogged up, I take it outside and give it a blast of compressed are to clean.

-kg

Andy Pratt
11-24-2008, 1:20 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm actually using the cleanstream HEPA filter you guys have described. My understanding was that without the use of a bag with it, the filter quality would get degraded significantly in a short period of time, where you would no longer be getting HEPA level filtration. The suction power would stay the same of course, but you would have holes in the filter (mabye not even noticeable to the naked eye) that would be letting "large" dust particles through.

The idea with the nylons sounds like it might work, I wonder why the instructions say specifically not to use the HEPA filter inside of the 5 micron cloth filter, it seems like this would be a good pre-filter (I think they warn it will burn the motor out), how long have you been using the nylons with it, any issues with performance?

For you guys with just the cleanstream no bags/prefilter, have your filters been damaged in any noticeable way?

Thanks,
Andy

Fred Hargis
11-24-2008, 7:45 AM
The Cleanstream is so well made, I don't believe you have to worry about it. But not using bags does mean you have to clean the filter every once in a while....but don't worry about buring out your motor, the Fein has a seperate airstream to cool it. So a clogged vac doesn't bother the motor. I'm guessing the instructions abaout no pre filters were written with the less expensive vacs in mind.

Bruce Page
11-24-2008, 6:51 PM
Never saw the need to use any in my TIII. The felt filter does the job for me and the filter is still in great shape even after several years.

Steve Clardy
11-24-2008, 9:06 PM
I have the mini fein, and use fein bags.
Often found on amazon for ten bucks, bag of three

Curt Harms
11-25-2008, 8:49 AM
I'm not sure about the size and am not home to check on it; I think they're around 8-10 gallon. I know they're not as large as the Fein bags and don't wrap around the vac can like the Fein but the opening and cardboard collar fit fine. I run a cartridge filter along with the bag and it seems to work okay. I'm pretty sure the Fein does indeed have 2 motors. One creates the suction and the other ensures a cooling stream on the primary motor thus if there's no "suction" air moving the motor is still being cooled.

Curt

Eric Porter
11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Which model of the cleanstream filter do you use with the Fein Turbo II and/or Turbo III. There are different models for Shop vac (?), Craftsman (09085), and Rigid (090898).

Thanks,
Eric

Fred Hargis
11-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Which model of the cleanstream filter do you use with the Fein Turbo II and/or Turbo III. There are different models for Shop vac (?), Craftsman (09085), and Rigid (090898).

Thanks,
Eric
If you gte the one marked "Craftsman Red Stripe" or something to the effect it should fit. Don't forget to tape over the bolt hole in the bottom of the filter, it will slide onto the Fein cage quite snugly.

Dave Stuve
11-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi Eric,

I can't find a model # on my box - but it says 'fits Rigid and Craftsman Red Vacuums' on it. I did a search on HomeDepot.com for 'cleanstream' and up comes the right one with the product # 09093.

Dave

PS. Andy, the filter is tough - I've seen no damage at all using it without a bag on my router table and contractor saw. All my other uses go through an Oneida Dust Deputy.