PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
11-22-2008, 9:14 PM
I had a call for a bit larger salad bowl, as I checked what there still was, I found the choice lacking to say the least, enough smaller ones but not too much in the 13" to 16" range, so I pulled a few different dry roughed out bowls in that size and set to work, the Cherry was one, and this Black Walnut is another one, I will show the others later as time permits, have to make some ornaments I promised I would do, and time is moving fast :D
The Walnut is about 14" X 6" high, I had a hard time making some decent pictures with the shine and the dark color of the bowl, so apologies for that :o
All comments and replies are appreciated :D

Steve Schlumpf
11-22-2008, 9:40 PM
Leo - that's quite the bowl! Beautiful rich color and an amazing finish! Maybe it's the photos but I don't see any open grain - so, was wondering what you used for a finish?

Leo Van Der Loo
11-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Steve :D, thanks for the comment :).
Yes the pores are filled, I used the polymerized tung oil from Lee Valley, got 3 coats on it, or 4, not sure anymore, it does a very nice job in a fairly short time, and is easily renewable or repaired, if that's ever needed, just buffet it with white diamond very carefully as it is still not totally cured I think :).

Norm Zax
11-23-2008, 4:52 AM
very beautiful bowls. Well done.

Terry Quiram
11-23-2008, 7:29 AM
Leo

This bowl is quite stunning. The grain is spectacular and I love your finish.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Beautiful bowl Leo. That walnut has some rich color to it.

Don Carter
11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Leo:
Beautiful! Great job as always. I may try some of the polymerized tung oil.
All the best.

Don

Leo Van Der Loo
11-23-2008, 4:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments Guys :D, always feels good to get some feedback :)

Jack Mincey
11-23-2008, 5:23 PM
Very nice bowl. I like the rim and finish. I too will try some of your polymerized tung oil in the future.
Jack

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2008, 5:48 PM
Leo.....gorgeous bowl as we have come to expect from you!