PDA

View Full Version : Squeals Like a Pig!

Tyler Howell
06-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Steve Wilson,

On occasion you've touted the merits of Fan Belt Dressing (drive belt lubricant). I bought a can and to my satisfaction tuned up the shop machinery.

In big letters it states "Not for serpentine belts?? Any reason why? Can you offer another alternative.

The belt for my Tundra is clean, tight, no glazing or cracks, pulleys and idlers are all clean but it has the worst squeal in town.

Any ideas?? Only have about 10K miles on the belt.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Padilla
06-04-2004, 1:27 PM
Tyler,

I know you've inspected the belt and claim it is good shape but I have to tell you, just replace it. Belts, even brand spanking new ones (especially serpentine, grooved ones) can have "bad spots" on them that cause them to slip/squeal. I went through 2 new belts on my BMW before the 3rd one no longer squealed. All this on an engine with 10k on it. Now I have 46k on this belt and no squeal to be heard.

All my tension was correct, pulley's perfectly aligned, etc., etc....just a couple "bad" belts. True story.

Wes Bischel
06-04-2004, 1:49 PM
Tyler,

Did you replace the tensioner on it when the belt was replaced? Too many times they go bad and the belt is blamed. Just a thought - I usually have them both replaced (belt and tensioner) - usually an extra $15-20 for the part - labor is a wash. Then again, I'm not familiar with the Tundra so your cost may be different.

Also, did they change out any of the drive components? If so, one of the pulleys may be out of alignment.

Good luck, Wes

Ted Shrader
06-04-2004, 3:15 PM
Tyler -

Look the driven components over very carefully. If one of their drive pulleys is out of line, it will exhibit the same symptoms. You can replace the belt, the water pump, the tensiorer, etc and it will still squeal.

DAMHIKT

Ted