PDA

View Full Version : LazerBuzz question

Dave Johnson29
11-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi All,

Just looking at LazerBuzz dog medallions and it appears they cut away one of the layers of the plywood.

http://www.laserbuzz.com/dogs/images/DOGS3D/German%20Shepherd.jpg?

Can someone please explain this process? Or do they provide the pre-made layered medallion for marking using their software?

Thanks.

Roger McDowell
11-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking but they don't provide anything but the software. Each of the medalion components are cut from a layer of plywood and nested together on top of another layer with a contrasting color. The bottom layer is cut in outline only. Hope this helps.

Dave Johnson29
11-22-2008, 3:36 PM
Each of the medalion components are cut from a layer of plywood and nested together on top of another layer with a contrasting color. The bottom layer is cut in outline only.

Hi Roger,

OK, thanks, I understand. I thought they were cutting the middle section somehow without burning the surface. So actually I would cut 3 separate pieces of wood and glue them together in a stack?

James Rambo
11-22-2008, 3:43 PM
Not three peices of wood only 2.
2 pieces of 12" x 12" x 1/8" ply. one will be used for the backing ( the black you see in the picture in your post. the second will be cut into the three rings with the vector engrved slaskes to represent the rope design and the dogs head vector cut. Then all are glued to the backing in three different levels to create a shadowing effect.

Dave Johnson29
11-22-2008, 4:06 PM
Not three peices of wood only 2.

OK James,

Thanks I think I have the idea now.

Michael Hunter
11-22-2008, 8:30 PM
You *can* (with care and luck) get a similar effect with just one piece of ply :

Top of top layer - light colour
Engrave down to any glue line - very dark/black
Engrave into middle of second layer - medium colour
Engrave into middle of third layer - fairly dark colour (smoke and resins accumulate)

Ply is so variable that settings are as much luck as judgement. Don't expect any two pieces to engrave the same!

Cary Fleming
11-23-2008, 12:22 PM
You *can* (with care and luck) get a similar effect with just one piece of ply :

(...)

Ply is so variable that settings are as much luck as judgement. Don't expect any two pieces to engrave the same!

Also, vector cutting and gluing will be faster than engraving out the design in all but the smallest designs.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-23-2008, 9:02 PM
An even faster way is to cut out 2 tribute (or any of the others) backs using 12"x24" nominal 3mm ply and store them and then cut the front side, 2 at a time, as you sell them or build inventory and you will get a better yield. Also when cutting the backs cut all your shims and do it on a slow day or some evening.