PDA

View Full Version : Old Performax 16-32 Manual

Ben Franz
11-22-2008, 11:44 AM
I bought a used 16-32 (older model 629002) a few months ago and I'm starting a restoration project. I found a thread on these machines from about a year ago and tried to contact the member that had located the manual but was unsuccessful. Does anyone have a copy of the older model manual? Thought I'd ask before calling WMH Tool Group.

Also, I'd like to replace the flimsy elevation crank handle with a heavier hand wheel like the newer, larger units use now. Any suggestions for a source would be appreciated.

This topic is how I found the Creek and I'm truly amazed at the breadth and depth of knowledge displayed here. Probably one of the most pleasant online groups anywhere. Thanks everyone.

Jim Kountz
11-22-2008, 2:39 PM
Does yours have the adjustmen bolt for setting the drum absolutely parralell to the table? I have an older one myself and it does NOT have this feature that the newer ones have. It makes setting the drum a real pain in the butt. If you ever locate a manual I would be interested in one myself.

John Eaton
11-22-2008, 2:46 PM
I have the manuals for a slightly earlier model (629601) which would probably work for yours - I've been meaning to scan them for OWWM's database. If you can't find your model specifically I'd be happy to push this task up and create the PDF and make it available to you.

-- John

Robyn Horton
11-22-2008, 2:59 PM
Ben ... I have that manual in pdf form for the 629002, if you want it pm me and I will send it to your email its about 8 meg

Robyn H

Ben Franz
11-22-2008, 4:52 PM
Robyn -

Thanks. PM sent. Isn't this place amazing.

John Eaton
11-22-2008, 8:54 PM
Robyn,

Could you email me a copy too? I'd like to see what's different between the 02 and 01 Models.

-- John

John Eaton
11-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Robyn sent me the manual and I've begun comparing them - it's interesting to see the differences and I thought someone might benefit in the future so here's an analysis:

Mine:
1. Performax 16-20 Drum Sander Operating Instructions (stapled, 8 pages numbered 1-6 on the insides). Writen on the cover of the manual is Model #629601 Serial 2067 which corresponds to my unit.

The rest of the paper is loose:

2. Adjustment & Alignment (Manual Revision: Replaces Page 1 of Operating Instructions). (single page printed on one side)
3. Unpacking Instructions (single page printed on one side)
4. Sandpaper Attachment (2 pages printed both sides on single sheet)
5. Performax 16-32 Model Drum Sander Parts List (4 pages printed both sides on 2 single sheets joined at spine)
6. Price List for parts is dated "Effective July 1, 1993) - there are no other dates on the doc. (2 pages printed both sides on single sheet)
7. Performax 16-32 Stand Parts List (and exploded diagram)
8. Performax 16-32 Sales sheet (2 pages printed both sides on single sheet)

Robyn's Doc:
1. Performax 16-32 Plus Owner's Manual (Part Numbers in this manual applicable for machines beginning with serial# 13127...) Copyright 1995 (24 Pages)
2. There's a new "Pre-Operating Instructions" section and also a "Servicing Your Performax" which details parts replacement.
3. New section on replacing switches and other electrical components.
4. There are a few extra parts listed but in looking at the exploded diagrams it appears they labled some screws and washers separately in this new incarnation.
5. I'm really at a loss as to what the "Plus" in the name implies.

From what I can tell, there isn't much different between the two units other than the name. The new documentation does have additional details and is better written so if you're in doubt get the copy from Robyn.

I also have the Sales sheets for:
1. Performax S/T (for those of you not familiar with Performax history, the S/T was their beginning flagship product which allowed users to attach the unit to a RAS). Mike Heidrich had one (we talked about it during IWF) but I'm not sure if he still has it or uses it.
2. Sales sheet for Pro-Max III (2 pages)
3. Sales sheet for Super-Max (4 pages)
4. Performax "All Star Line-Up" sales sheet showing all products (fold-over type flyer)
5. General sheet showing S/T and Powerfeed, 16-32, Super Max and Pro Max III
6. Photocopies from Highland Hardware's newspaper describing the units

-- John

Louie George
11-23-2008, 1:37 PM
Robyn,

Could you send me a copy as well, I've been trying to locate a copy as well. Thanks.

Clarence Miller
02-24-2010, 9:32 PM
Hi there,

I am new to your group and have just purchased an older Performax 16-32 model 629002. It has a 1hp motor, 2.5 DC port. It needs a new belt and power switch. Came with the stand but not the infeed/outfeed table. I gave $400 for it. It runs when I bypass the switch. Did I make a good buy or pay too much. The drum is in good shape. I have a 10-20 but need to get bigger. I was thinking of building a 3 roller machine (80,120,180 grits in line) that would have been 38" wide but then the chance came to buy the Performax. I have built my own CNC router so I need something that can sand plaques in a timely manner.

Thanks, I am really enjoying this site.

Eric John
02-24-2010, 9:50 PM
emmmm, scuse me, Im new here, just lurking actually. Have not been able to put my shop together since I moved , but if it is helpful to anyone, I have an old pro-max II, (I wanna say 1992?) I believe it was the forerunner to the 22-44. I do have the manual, if it is helpful to anyone. who needs I could try to scan it and send it.

Regards Eric

Clarence Miller
02-28-2010, 6:53 PM
Hi everybody,

I just got the drum sander up and going. Replaced the power switch, blew about 3 pounds of dust out of the drum, and replaced the conveyor belt with a poly belt from the Accura web site. The new belt as a tendency to slip more than the abrasive belt does, has anyone had any problem s like that? Also I was wondering if I should try to build a new dust hood with a 4" port or if I were to order a hood for a newer model that already has the 4" port would it fit.
I have a small wood working shop with a self made CNC router for the crown jewel. I am a CNC programmer/ router operator at my day job as well. I look forward to being part of this group. What a wealth of information.

Paul Ryan
02-28-2010, 9:38 PM
I just bought a 629002 model as well that came with a manual if any one needs a copy as well. Mine has a marathon motor on it that looks fairly new I think. Does your sanders have a marathon or a different brand?

Karl Stowe
03-02-2010, 9:02 PM
Clarence, I dont have a polly belt but wish I did so I cant answer that question. But I have heard on here that you can get the newer hood with the 4" dust port. You just have to some modification to the hinges and latch. So far my hood has been working just fine. I do need to get a dust deputy to prevent the clogging of the vacum filter. The fine dust is killing the vacum quick.

Karl

Clarence Miller
03-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi Everybody,

I just got my new dust hood for the sander installed so now I can try to get to the bottom of the board slipping on the poly belt. After some experimentation I was able to sand wider boards with out a problem but if I was sanding something under 7" it slipped. I have adjusted and readjusted the hold down rollers. I am considering getting longer screws for the pressure rollers and adding some heavier springs. Also I noticed that if I have the sliding bolts that are on the thickness adjuster so that it raises or lowers with ease it shakes the drum. If I tighten them to stop the shaking, the crank turns really hard. Have any of you run into this?

Stephen Edwards
03-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Hi everybody,

I just got the drum sander up and going. Replaced the power switch, blew about 3 pounds of dust out of the drum, and replaced the conveyor belt with a poly belt from the Accura web site. The new belt as a tendency to slip more than the abrasive belt does, has anyone had any problem s like that? Also I was wondering if I should try to build a new dust hood with a 4" port or if I were to order a hood for a newer model that already has the 4" port would it fit.
I have a small wood working shop with a self made CNC router for the crown jewel. I am a CNC programmer/ router operator at my day job as well. I look forward to being part of this group. What a wealth of information.

I built a new dust hood for my older model and installed a 4" port for DC. I can't tell any difference at all in the DC efficiency. The 2 1/2" port works fine.

david brum
03-24-2010, 12:37 AM
The new belt as a tendency to slip more than the abrasive belt does, has anyone had any problem s like that?

I have an Accura belt and it does slip some. I just apply light downward pressure on the stock as it feeds into the drum. As the stock exits, I transfer pressure to the outfeed. One nice thing is that this eliminates snipe, since the stock can't flip itself up.

I feel that the necessary added help is a good tradeoff for a belt that won't get eaten up when it migrates off center.

Clarence Miller
03-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi there, thanks for the tip on the conveyor belt. I was worried that I may keep my shop at too cool of temperature and making the poly belt hard and slick. I just ordered some oilite replacement washers for the thickness adjustment slide. Maybe they have lost their lubricating properties over time. If anybody has had a similar experience and found a solution please reply. I really hope it isn't a drum balancing issue since I cleaned out a huge amount of sawdust (and an efficiency apartment for a mouse). I would have no idea where to go to get it balanced or how to go about it by myself. The Ereplacement Parts website doesn't list the drum under it's part # int he manual. I had one guy tell me to squirt some sort of foam into the drum and turn the motor on the centripetal force will even out the weight, not quite sold on that one yet, if it don't work I'll have a mess to clean up.

Clarence Miller
03-27-2010, 6:52 AM
Hi Creekers,

I have been staring down the drum sander for awhile yet trying to will it to behave but have not had any luck with that method. I ordered some new oillite washers to put on the sliding mechanism along with some lock nuts to keep the shoulder bolts in position. Looked inside the drum and saw several pieces of what appears to be plumbers lead stuck on the inside for balancing I presume, perhaps when I was cleaning out the dust from the previous owner (and evicting the resident field mouse, no kidding he even left a couple kernels of half eaten corn) I knocked one off. Then I was rolling it by hand and heard the bearings "clicking" and rolling. I thought something was loose inside the drum but everything looked tight. After investigating the cost of the replacement bearings and the spider (I had read an earlier post about that causing excessive shaking at start up and shut down) I ordered in a set of bearings. I was really surprised at how reasonable they were for price at ereplacementparts.com I was able to order all three parts and the retaining rings for less than $60. I may be able to fix this for less than it cost to get my cat fixed.:rolleyes:
If there is anyone who has changed out bearings in these sanders please chime in if you found any obstacles in your experience.
Thanks,

Paul Campbell
09-08-2010, 9:51 PM
Hi John - I've been scouring the internet for a manual for my Performax and I came across this thread. I'm wondering if there's any way you could send me a copy the one you have? It would be a huge help. I can't figure out how to level the drum and I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks very much.

Best,

--Paul

Paul Campbell
09-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey all - I realized this is a fairly old thread but I've recently purchased an older Performax 16 - 32 model 629002. I foolishly assumed when I bought it that making adjustments to it would be a simple matter of having a look at the problem and figuring out how to fix it. Apparently, I'm not as good as I thought. For the life of me I can't figure out how to level the drum to the table.

Does anyone happen to have an instruction manual they would be willing to send me, or even just some helpful advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Paul

David Christopher
10-20-2010, 1:39 PM
here is a manual for the 16 32
http://powertool.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/jet_industrial/1632_plus.html

click on " get manual "

Chris Delaney
06-21-2011, 3:33 PM
Hi - I'm new to this forum. I am excited to begin participating and accessing the wealth of knowledge here.

Anyhow, I recently purchased a used Performax 16 32 drum sander (older model SN# 629002). Reviewing the previous posts it looks like some folks here might have access to the manual for this model. If someone could please tell me where I might find this it would be greatly appreciated. Aligning the drum for these older models is much more difficult so it sure would be useful to have the manual to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Chris

Mike OMelia
06-21-2011, 4:37 PM
Pictures! We MUST have before and after pictures! :)

Neil Brooks
06-21-2011, 4:51 PM
Chris-

PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you a copy of the manual that I have.

I can send it this eve. Unsure of the year, but ... I think the manual will get you what you need.

Welcome !

James K Ward
01-02-2012, 3:24 PM
Ben ... I have that manual in pdf form for the 629002, if you want it pm me and I will send it to your email its about 8 meg

Robyn H

Hello Robyn,
I have just purchased a used Performax, which did not have a manual. I would be greatful if you could email me a copy.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Ward

Bill Rogers
01-04-2012, 7:19 AM
If anyone is still looking for a manual for a Performax 16-32 sander, I have one for Stock Number 629004k, starting with Serial Number 105409.
If you want a copy shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you a .pdf copy.

Bill

Bill Allen
01-24-2019, 5:13 AM
John, I realize this is a very old thread, but I just picked up a Performax 16-32 model 629G01. I was wondering if there was any chance of getting copies of the first 8 documents on the listing in your post. They can be emailed to wilallen@hotmail.com.
Thanks.

Rick Bull
04-11-2019, 3:14 PM
Bill
This may be a long shot, but I need the manual for the
Stock Number 629004k Drum Sander. Do you still have it?

Will hanson
05-05-2019, 6:09 PM
I just bought a 629002 model as well that came with a manual if any one needs a copy as well. Mine has a marathon motor on it that looks fairly new I think. Does your sanders have a marathon or a different brand?

Paul I just bought a similar model with the 1hp marathon motor. I am desperately seeking the user manual. I have the later model manual but some of that doesn't apply. And yes I know this thread is ancient and u may no longer be into woodworking. 😀

Larry Bean
06-24-2020, 12:06 PM

Robyn H

Hi, I am in desperate need of a manual for a Performax 16-32Plus Model # 629002. I found a post of yours from 2008. You said you had a pdf on it. If you still have it I would love if you could send it to: lbean58@yahoo.com . I'd even be willing to pay. I trying to figure out how to get the drum totally parallel to the bottom. Thanks in advance!
Larry Bean, Paris, Arkansas

Earl McLain
06-24-2020, 1:11 PM
@Will Hanson and @Larry Bean

I bought one from a Creeker last November with the manual (for serial numbers starting with 134xx and up). I only go to the office a few times a week, so it may take a week or so to get it scanned. Breezing through this thread...i'm thinking scanning it is a great idea even if only for myself!! PM me if interested, again--i'm looking at likely a week.
earl

Robyn Horton
06-24-2020, 2:34 PM
Larry I can send it later tonight when I have access to the file in my personal computer.
Robyn

Earl McLain
06-24-2020, 7:57 PM
Nice Robyn, gives me a little more time to scan mine for my archive. It's actually a nice manual, i'd forgotten that they used to be printed on full pages and in a decent sized font!! I think mine may be from 1997, and the tool itself is in great shape. Bought mine from Bill Cary here on SMC, and i didn't have to make any adjustments at all.
earl

Robyn Horton
06-24-2020, 8:18 PM
Earl If you would like I could aslo send the pdf file to you and save you from scanning it ?

Larry Bean
06-24-2020, 8:29 PM
I got it! It is so much easier when you have correct information. Thank you so much!

Earl McLain
06-25-2020, 6:11 AM
Earl If you would like I could aslo send the pdf file to you and save you from scanning it ?

Thanks Robyn, much appreciated. I just messaged you my e-mail address. No rush, just will be nice to archive it. Thanks again!!
earl

Derek McAleer
05-22-2023, 5:56 PM

Robyn H

I woul.d be grateful if you could send me this maual. Tried to PM you, but that option is turned off in this old thread. Thanks!

Richard Coers
05-22-2023, 6:12 PM
I thought about every manual is now on the internet. Did you search for it?

Earl McLain
05-23-2023, 9:23 AM
I woul.d be grateful if you could send me this maual. Tried to PM you, but that option is turned off in this old thread. Thanks!

Just sent you an email Derek, as you don't seem to have PM's available. I think PM's are only available to Contributors (minimum $6/year), on the web version of the SMC site the top banner includes a "Donate" button to do that. Great investment.
earl