PDA

View Full Version : Bass Guitar factory in my backyard....

Dennis Peacock
06-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Yup, you guessed it..!!!! I found out yesterday that the entire Tobias bass and guitar line of instruments are made right here in Conway, Arkansas!!!

The best part? I got to tour the factory today and see the woodworking equipment, metal working equipment and every single phase of how a bass and guitar is made. I got to meet every peron that worked in the bass and guitar section and walked past THOUSANDS of dollar worth of Zebra wood, Purple Heart, Bubinga, Flame Maple, Quilted Maple and the list of wood goes on and on. It was really cool to see a bass guitar made from raw wood all the way up to the finished product and to see what each person does to make it a real world class instrument!!!!

If you don't know, the Tobias line of bass and guitars are considered world class instruments and normally retail for $3,000 and UP.!!! Needless to say, I'm trying to swing a deal that would be "factory direct" for a new bass guitar that would be custom made to fit me and my short fingers.! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2004, 2:25 AM
Dennis, I'm jealous! :( But at that price, I'll just have to stick to my Fender Power Jazz! :D

Terry Quiram
06-04-2004, 6:53 AM
Dennis

Do you think there might be any pen blanks in their scrap pile? :D

Terry

Tyler Howell
06-04-2004, 8:24 AM
Too Cool Dude! Did you get to take any of those $$$$.$$ and up bad boys for a ride?:cool:

Dennis Peacock
06-04-2004, 9:27 AM
Dennis

Do you think there might be any pen blanks in their scrap pile? :D

Terry

Terry,

I got some pieces for the FPP and my private pen blank stop. There will be pens going to the troops in the name of Tobias Bass Factory.!! :D

You didn't think for a MINUTE that I was going there and NOT come out with at least a "little" wood now did you? :eek: :D

Gary Whitt
06-04-2004, 9:30 AM
Instrument making is indeed an art! :D
I've been to several factories and mom-n-pop shops.
I love to see the jigs that they build. I saw two aluminum jigs at a dulcimer shop once, they cost $8000 each! :eek: Gotta sell a lot of dulcimers!!!! :rolleyes:
BTW, does Tobias make upright basses?

Dennis Peacock
06-04-2004, 9:35 AM
Too Cool Dude! Did you get to take any of those $$$$.$$ and up bad boys for a ride?:cool:

Tyler my friend....<b>Yes I did!</b> :D :D :D :D

The action was "low" and the feel was as sweet as I've ever experienced. Now...give me a little credit here as I'm comparing the Tobias Bass feel to my Warwick Thumb Bolt 5-String, solid Bubinga and Rosweood bass with Jazz pickups. The Warwick ain't no slouch of a bass at a $1,800 price tag and is Tobias' direct competition. The Tobias Electric Guitar is the best I've ever played on. Everthing they had and did was absolutely "top notch". :D

It was pure-dee-ol' unadulterated Pleasure to play those yesterday.! :eek: :D

Steven Wilson
06-04-2004, 10:28 AM
I looked at a Tobais 5 string when I was in the market some years ago and decided on a Warwick Streamer 5 string with MEC electronics as it had more tonal flexability and a wonderful growl. It's a nice contrast to the fretless Fender P-bass, Taylor AB-1, and Alembic Spoiler that I also use.

Jim Becker
06-04-2004, 9:09 PM
Now, that's a tour I would have really enjoyed! Of course, I'd also want one...or three...so such a visit would be dangerous. So I guess in the rare moment I decide to pull out a bass guitar, it will have to remain my "copy" of a Fender Jazz which makes noise (especially in my hands...) albeit nothing very interesting or pleasant to listed to. Too many years have gone by...I better stick to woodworking as my expensive hobby.

Dennis Peacock
06-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Now, that's a tour I would have really enjoyed! Of course, I'd also want one...or three...so such a visit would be dangerous. So I guess in the rare moment I decide to pull out a bass guitar, it will have to remain my "copy" of a Fender Jazz which makes noise (especially in my hands...) albeit nothing very interesting or pleasant to listed to. Too many years have gone by...I better stick to woodworking as my expensive hobby.

Jim,

Don't "fret"!!! :D I'm planning another tour with my camera and will post some pics here. :D