PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Planer Blades

Adam Slutsky
11-22-2008, 8:16 AM
I have an Inca jointer/planer and want to send the 10-1/2" blades out for sharpening but I'm not sure who to send them to. I don't have the skill or equipment to properly sharpen the blades. I'm in New Jersey but would probably be willing to send them anywhere if I was sure that they would do a good job sharpening them. Any suggestions?

Fred Hargis
11-22-2008, 8:35 AM
I've used Bull Sharpening near chicago and have nothing but praise for them. Last time I sent some it was 50¢ an inch. (bullsharp.com) They do a great job on router bits as well.

Adam Slutsky
11-22-2008, 8:48 AM
Have you used them for planer/jointer blades?

Kevin Adams
11-22-2008, 9:24 AM
Adam--

I have sent mine to Eagle Tools in CA and they do a nice job. You might contact them or post your question on the Yahoo message board for Inca as you'll get lots of good advice there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/incawoodworking/

Kevin

Steve Griffin
11-22-2008, 9:51 AM
HI Adam,
It might be worth checking with local lumber yards or cabinet shop suppliers. We have two in our area which will send out your saw blades and planer/jointer knives for you to an excellent professional service. Not having to pack up the blades, ship them, stand in line at the PO etc. represents a nice time savings for my small business.

Also, sharpening your own is easy with a wet grinding wheel like the Tormek or the Grizzly copy. If you also like razer sharp chisels and hand plane blades, this is a must anyway. I used my Tormek for years to sharpen 20" planer blades until I got lazy and now just send them out. I still use the leather wheel to final buff any blades sharpened professionally.

-Steve

Carlos Alden
11-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Adam:

Don't know where you are in Jersey, but there MUST be a sharpening service not far from you (unless you're way out in the boonies.)

I'd call the nearest Rockler or Woodcraft (several Woodcrafts in Eastern PA) or any woodworking/powertool store. They are usually staffed by woodworking enthusiasts, and they'll know where to take it or send it. (Don't know if Lowe's or Home Depot or the equivalent would know...)

That's what I did for jointer blades, asked the local woodworking toy store. Inexpensive and it only took 5 days of waiting over the weekend.

Carlos

Fred Hargis
11-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Have you used them for planer/jointer blades?
Yes, I had my 15" Delta blades sharpened there....did a great job.

Roger Jensen
11-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Check with your local tool retailers. Both Woodcraft and Toolking (sp?) in San Carlos, CA have someone pick up blades once a week.

Roger

Ray Newman
11-22-2008, 12:01 PM
As posted, check w/ the local cabinet shops & lumberyards for referrals.

If that doesn't pan out, you call Forrest Saw Blades in Clifton, NJ. I don't know if they sharpen non-carbide blades, but they might be able to give you a referral.
Forrest:
www.forrestblades.com/
1-973-473-5236

Adam Slutsky
11-22-2008, 4:43 PM
Thanks!!! I called Force Machinery in Union and they said that they send them out for sharpening. Seems like I should be able to go direct so I'll also check out Forest in Clifton. Has anyone used ridge carbide in Lyndhurst? I don't even know of a cabinet shop near me to ask but I'll get the phone book out. If all else fails I'll ship them out west!

Adam

Phil Thien
11-22-2008, 6:15 PM
Scott Whiting is a member here and owns a sharpening service in Arizona (I think). I have never heard a single disparaging word about his work. And he joins in on sharpening discussions and provides useful information.

I doubt he will post here and ask for your business. Too classy for that.

I'd look him up.

Bruce Wrenn
11-22-2008, 8:15 PM
Forrest, Ridge, or Dynamic Saw in Buffalo. Personally, I use Dynamic in Buffalo. Half the price and as good as or better sharpening. Mailman will drop off a 2-3 day box at your door, you print postage, and they pick up. What could be easier?

Tom Adger
11-23-2008, 9:35 AM
Adam:

A suggestion: before you send out your knives, I would flatten the backs. Same principal as chisels, a cutting edge is nothing more than the meeting of two flat surfaces. The operative word is flat. Take a piece of hardwood that has been jointed flat. Use double sided tape, and put all the blades on at the same time. I use sandpapers from a roll, so you don't have a seam. Take a longer piece of jointed hardwood, and fix the sandpaper to it. I would start about 80 grit, and go up to 1000. Skip grits on the way up, or you will be there forever. When you first start, mark the back with a felt tip marker, and you will see right away if the back is flat to start with. It is some work, but you only have to do it once. Then send them out to your sharpening service to get the bevels done.

Brian Gumpper
11-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Go see John at Ridge Carbide.

Ridge Carbide Tool Corp.
595 New York Ave
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071
1-800-443-0992

Bryan Cowing
11-23-2008, 5:46 PM
look up grinding services in the yellow pages