PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox - Finally!!

Wes Bischel
06-03-2004, 8:35 PM
Well, I finally got the little man's sandbox done - at least as far as he's concerned. I wanted a good sturdy cover for it (we have more than a few cats in the neighborhood. :( ) but didn't want something that needed to be stored while in use. So I came up with a cover that converts into benches. Later, when Sam outgrows the sandbox, it can convert into a herb garden. I'm not too thrilled with some of the details (like all of the cleats inside) but I have to remind myself - "It's just a sandbox".

I still need to hardscape around it -ugh - laying pavers. Other than that, the only thing missing is the ubiquitous Tonka dump truck! (on it's way via eBay)

Anyhow, it seemed to take forever to get done - and it's simply a box with sand in it! :rolleyes:

Wes

Chris Padilla
06-03-2004, 9:00 PM
Wes,

Clever use of the lids for seating...I like the idea. Yeah, the cleats aren't too appetizing to look at...what made you decide to use them? What kind of wood did you choose? Looks like your boy is having a ball...nice job! :D

Dale Thompson
06-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Wes,
Nice job and forethought. I'm on my way over with my own Tonka. Mine is one of those old metal indestructible ones. Will that cause a problem? We'll need some water for the river, some concrete for the dam and some blacktop for the four-lane which Sam and I are going to build. :) I bit of a "green space" with room for a hot dog stand and a ferris wheel wouldn't hurt either. ;) I'll also supply the Lincoln Logs and the erector set for the village. Wes, it looks like fun!! :D

Dale T.

Todd Burch
06-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Wes, that is a neat idea on the lid!! Great job!

Bruce Page
06-03-2004, 10:08 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon3.gifhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif Great idea on the lid Wes! I really like the corner joint detail too.

Tyler Howell
06-03-2004, 10:22 PM
No Cat Litter Box There! Nice Job Wes. Love the detail.

John Weber
06-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Killer! I love it. Hard scaping, that's funny. I think it will consist of mostly sand with a stray leaf, blade of grass, and a truck or two. My daughter loves the sandbox, but late last year took to making pies. She starts with a layer of sand and then adds leaves, berries, grass, twigs, and lots of flowers. I've dumped about 100 lbs of pies throughout the yard. It really increased sand use. Anyway great project, the doors look awesome. I sure it will be a most loved project.

John

P.S. Our raised garden bed was one of my first ww projects at the house. I used cedar and after about 8 years it's just about shot - maybe 2 more years. I think I'll just built another frame around the old one and knock down the sides. We love it for a couple tomatoes, carrots, and other assorted veggies...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Wes, I like your design and final product! Take lots of pictures for future generations to remember by!

Russell Svenningsen
06-04-2004, 10:00 AM
Great job Wes! I bet Sam will just "dig" it!(Sorry, had to do it!)

My son alos uses my old, metal Tonka bulldozer in the sandbox. Gotta love Tonka....indestructible!

Best,
Russell

Jason Tuinstra
06-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Wes, great looking sand box you have there. The lid/seat was a great idea. Very innovative. The hardware really set's this apart. Quality job!

Wes Bischel
06-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Chris,
The reason for most of the cleats is due to the wood choice - pressure treated. Once again I am reminded how much I don't like to work with it. But, it fit the budget. I think the small cleats which hold the center and fold sections of the lid may be replaced with one continuous piece to clean it up some. The "bench" top cleats (lid bottoms) may get a trex-like plank put over them or to replace them. The lid ended up being a trial and error type of thing so the cleats kinda sprouted where needed. :(

Dale, Russell - get in line! Once I started talking "Tonka" every guy on the block was ready to come over and play! And John, I'm sure you're right - this is only the beginning of the trips to get more sand!
I have to say one of my fondest memories of my grandmother was actually playing with my trucks in the mud - my grandmother was starting a new garden and figured what better way to get the peat moss worked into the soil! Me and the neighbor twins in our bathing suits covered in mud up to our eyeballs. It was dusk when we finally got hosed down. :p

Anyhow, now all I need to figure out is how to get Sam in for dinner!

Thanks guys, Wes

Tom Sweeney
06-05-2004, 2:01 PM
Great job on the sandbox - nice design on the lid / benches & the corner details. The customer sure looks pleased with the end result so stop beating yourself up about the cleats - I think it's great & obviously Sam does too. :cool: :)

Frank Pellow
06-06-2004, 8:52 PM
Nice design. I need to build a sand box in the play yard that I will be making at my camp in northern Ontario later this summer and I think that I will borrow your desgn idea (but, I plan to use cedar).