PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood box

Curt Fuller
11-21-2008, 11:58 PM
This is another piece turned from old dried cottonwood. It's 5" diameter by 7.5" to the top of the handle. The handle is rosewood. I left a little of the natural edge on one side. Not sure I should have but it is what it is.

Dennis Peacock
11-22-2008, 12:01 AM
I really like the form and the finial on this one Curt. Very nicely done. The "just a touch" of the natural edge is a nice accent to my eye. I like it. :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2008, 12:02 AM
That is a beauty. I really like that cottonwood Curt. Really like the form and finial.

Ken Glass
11-22-2008, 8:04 AM
Curt,
I really like this one. The form, fit and finish look very nice. I especially like the finial shape and its proportion to the HF. It really works well. What did you finish it with?

Steve Schlumpf
11-22-2008, 9:29 AM
Nice work Curt! Beautiful wood grain and color! Really like the style of your finial! It looks functional enough to be a handle and slim enough to be considered a finial! That's pretty cool!

The natural area of the box highlights the rest of the piece by it's contrast. One of those 'You got this - out of this?'

Once again - very nice work!

Curt Fuller
11-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks everyone!

Curt, What did you finish it with?

This is finished with a combo of Watco danish oil and Deft semi-gloss lacquer. I wipe a generous dose of oil on, let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and wipe it off. Then spray it with the rattle can lacquer. The lacquer dries the oil within about 20 minutes. Then you can rub it with a scotchbrite pad and add more coats of lacquer. You get a pretty nice hard finish in a few hours instead of waiting days for some other types of finish. I'm impatient when it comes to watching finish dry.

Don Carter
11-22-2008, 2:31 PM
Curt:
I love the box. Great looking wood. I also like your finishing ideas. I am impatient too.;) Gotta try that finish sometime.
All the best.

Don