PDA

View Full Version : planer advice

Ted Daigle
06-03-2004, 7:52 PM
Hi folks,

Can anyone give me a heads up on some good portable planers? I'm looking at a Delta, a Dewalt and a Makita. Anyone have any experience with these guys? I've never owned one before and hope to find one that is easy to adjust out of the box and easy to maintain, especially on blade changes. I appreciate any feedback you guys can give. Oh, I only do a moderate amount of woodwork now, but will do more once I get the planer since I'll have access to better stock. I'm hoping not to go too far over $400.

Chris Padilla
06-03-2004, 8:24 PM
Ted,

I just dumped a Delta (22-580 13" 2-speed) but not because it was a bad planer...I just moved up and needed to free up space.

This one is what I would call semi-portable at 96 lbs. The weight is good, however. Blade changes are truly cake on this (they are reversible) and a tool is included and stored on board. I think Amazon sells these for $365 shipped and you get a $25 GC for your next purchase.

Be sure to use dust/chip collection and get the fitting for it (usually, it is $25 extra...check on Amazon.) However, it can get in the way when planing...not the best design but it is needed, I think.

I bought the Delta from Amazon but this might be a good spot to check: http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=22-580

The new DeWalt gets generally better reviews but it blows your budget as it is in the $470 range I think.

This is a good lunchbox planer...you will be happy with it.

Don Loretto
06-03-2004, 8:54 PM
Ted,
I have used a Dewalt 733 for the last five years for all small, under 25 bd. feet, projects. I have a fifteen inch planer for larger jobs. I couldn't be more pleased with the DeWalt. The blade changes are easy and all the tools you need are included, including magnetic blade height adjusters. Extra knives are expensive though, I think fifty bucks. I also have an older Delata with throw away knives that worked fine but the blade changes were not quite as easy. The Delata is lighter and was my first planer. Good luck and be careful, woodworking is danergous!

Jim Ketron
06-03-2004, 11:01 PM
I have the delta 22-580 its worked well for me. Like Chris sug get the dust chute. I use a bungie cord to hold it up it does kinda get in the way. The knives are two sided and easy to change. and almost no snipe.

Jim

Dan Mages
06-04-2004, 8:15 AM
I also have the Delta 22-580. It works wonderfully for my small projects.

Dan

Tyler Howell
06-04-2004, 8:34 AM
The Dewalt 735 is a great tool very satisfying. It has handles, but portable is reletive. 100 lbs of BA WW machine. I'm liking it.;)

Lynn Sonier
06-04-2004, 9:00 AM
Jet has a brand new two speed planer in the $400 range. I bought one and it is really nice.

Gary Whitt
06-04-2004, 9:21 AM
I personally have and use a DeWalt 733. Love it.
I've used several Deltas. They were good, also.
I have not used any other brands.
If a manufacturer has several models, do not but the cheapest model of a brand (ie: Delta's Shopmaster is entry level).

I don't think you could go wrong with DeWalt or Delta. :)

Ray Dockrey
06-04-2004, 9:58 AM
I just bought the 22-565 with stand from Lowes on clearence for $225.00. I have only used it a few times but from what I have it is very nice. Very smooth finish with no snipe. I would like to have had one of the two speed units but this was within my budget at this time.

Vince Sandy
06-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi Ted,

I have had the Rigid 13 inch "portable" planer for about two years. It doesn't get extensive use but I have been satisfied with it. Easy knife changes, on-board knife and tool storage, tool stand included. Seemed like a decent value. I think Rigid has changed their tool line so I can't address the new models, but the old planers got good reviews and that was a major factor in my decision to go with it.

Vince

Dan Dubeau
06-04-2004, 4:39 PM
i just bought the delta 580 and am very pleased.
home depot up here has them on clearance, they were competing with their rigid brand so they are not going to carry them in store anymore.

msrp $599, i got mine for $449. i got an extra hundred off because it was used at a trade show. they even threw in a second set of knives!

Chris Padilla
06-04-2004, 5:14 PM
Dan,

I assume those are Canadian Dollars you are quoting? That is kind of high for US Dollars for the 22-580. It goes for around $360 US (Amazon).

I just sold my (semi-) used 22-580 for $300 but that also included the dust chute ($25). The guy who bought it from me ran a piece of maple through and was impressed like crazy. No detectable snipe and the finish was excellent...I *almost* gave him his money back!! ;)