PDA

View Full Version : Strap Clamps which to buy

Craig D Peltier
11-21-2008, 11:29 PM
I need to glue up two half circles to make a 70" round. Is there a particualr type of strap clamp with the right accessory to it I should be looking for?

Thanks

James Phillips
11-22-2008, 7:32 AM
Bessey makes a good strap clamp

Michael Gibbons
11-22-2008, 7:36 AM
A standard trailer ratchet strap should work fine. Just make sure to put something underneath the ratchet so it doesn't mar up the wood.

Doug Shepard
11-22-2008, 7:52 AM
I've got a motley assortment of strap clamps and they all work pretty much the same. Another nice clamp is the Merle
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/merle_clamp.html
I've used it on round stuff by cutting plywood corner blocks for the clamp corners with the ply radiused on the inside to match the glue-up.

Thomas Williams
11-22-2008, 7:59 AM
Like someone else mentioned, they are all pretty much the same. I have the Pony and Irwin brand. I use the Pony more as the ratchets on the Irwins are a little large for my projects. However, I can get more pressure from the ratchet style if needed.

John Bush
11-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Craig,
I have several types of strap clamps, mostly the light weight style like the Pony and a Bessey-- garage sale finds-- and they all work fine. I also have a biga** one with a metal strap 1 1/2" wide-- another garage sale find but looks like an industrial model. You are welcome to use mine if you want make the trip from Duval to Edmonds!!!! I just used mine to make a coopered arch and I think the ratcheting cargo straps would work just as well. Is this for the dining room table you are making?? John Bush

Don Bullock
11-22-2008, 12:30 PM
I bought some of these at Rockler on one of their half price sales.

They are fantastic, especially when I'm clamping something and my assistant, as in TLOML, is not available.;):D

Rockler Page: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11332

Andy Pratt
11-23-2008, 12:05 AM
I think the bessey ones are the best thing going, after using these I would go nuts having to try a ratchet clamp for a project now, they're much easier.

Craig D Peltier
11-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi Craig,
I have several types of strap clamps, mostly the light weight style like the Pony and a Bessey-- garage sale finds-- and they all work fine. I also have a biga** one with a metal strap 1 1/2" wide-- another garage sale find but looks like an industrial model. You are welcome to use mine if you want make the trip from Duval to Edmonds!!!! I just used mine to make a coopered arch and I think the ratcheting cargo straps would work just as well. Is this for the dining room table you are making?? John Bush

yes its for a top that goes over a 45 square table, will post pics when done.. Thanks for offer. I have many ratchet straps here for trailer.

Craig D Peltier
11-23-2008, 12:23 AM
So when gluing up a round, is it necessary to make radius corner blocks and if so just 4 ?
Thanks