PDA

View Full Version : Intro and Question

Pat Meeuwissen
11-21-2008, 9:21 PM
Hi folks, by way of introduction I'm a novice woodworker ( I live in New Jersey and am 48 as of a week ago) and I really enjoy building things that folks will appreciate and use. And not stick them in the garbage the minute you leave their house.
I have a good selection of power tools and am pretty well versed in how to do the basics and now for the question is there a section which will lead me to tips which will help improve my skills or is it all mixed in the entire forum thru out the threads. Thanks and am really enjoying all the great projects. Pat

gary Zimmel
11-21-2008, 9:49 PM
Welcome to the Creek Pat...

Good to have you aboard.

Take some time and check out the different forums. You may have to search for a post that will answer your questions. If you can't find the answer just ask the question and someone will be able to answer it.

Ted Shrader
11-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi Pat -

Welcome to the Creek. It is a great place to hang out and exchange ideas and get help.

There is not a "tutorial" section per se. The search engine works pretty well, so play around with it and you will discover all sorts of threads that will get you on your way. If you don;t see exactly what you need, just ask. Someone here will have a suggestion (or two).

Welcome,
Ted

Pat Meeuwissen
11-22-2008, 7:26 AM
Guys, thanks for the welcome and the info. I did a search for a business card holder and got about 17 hits but not what I'm looking for, my friends runs a small store and he allows his customers to leave their cards on a shlef but he really want something to hold them all. I want to make a piece which would hold about 20 different cards, any thoughts? Thanks Pat

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-22-2008, 7:28 AM
Hi Pat, welcome to The Creek!

John Keeton
11-22-2008, 7:56 AM
Pat, welcome and we hope you will become a contributor to help keep this fine forum going. Cost is a minimal $6/year.

One tip that I have found useful in searching SMC is to NOT use the search forum function, but to open a separate window in Google and do an advanced search, putting in my search terms, and limit my search on the bottom line of the search window to sawmillcreek.org. I have found that to be much more effective.

On the card holders, I have made individual holders from three pieces of stock, and running one of them with a groove for the back (at a slight angle) and attach the front "keeper" with glue and clamping. Do them in a long piece, and cut multiples in the length needed. If using a shelf, I don't know if doing anything different would help. I could see doing a hanging unit to go on a wall that would be constructed differently, but having the unit done in such a way that the cards were visible would probably be conducive to them spilling out on the floor. Also, not sure about the space allotment for the project.

Adam Slutsky
11-22-2008, 8:29 AM
Pat:

Welcome! This is a great place to start and a valuable resource. If you find it as great as I do, please consider becoming a member. For the business card holder I would search the forum and the internet. There are a bunch of designs out there. I've attached a few I found with a quick search.