PDA

View Full Version : Woodwork Magazine -- problems

John Poole
11-21-2008, 5:39 PM
I subscribed to Woodwork Magazine and have a subscription through December 2009. I recently changed my mailing address (post office box) and contacted Ross Periodicals in Novato, California, to notify them of the address change. When I spoke to someone, they indicated that the magazine had been sold and that I needed to contact the new publisher, New Track Media, in Cambridge, MA.

Since I have a post office box, automatic forwarding for magazines is only two months, unlike a year for first class mail.

So I called New Track on October 31st and left a message asking a call back or an email confirming my address change had been made on their records. I never received a call or an email.

On November 20th, I called New Track and got a general answering machine and simply left my name and phone number with a request to call me back. I did not receive a call back.

On November 21st, I called New Track and spoke with Katie, the person who answers the general phone, and she said only Dominick (?) can handle address changes and forwarded me to his line which ended up being a voice mail. She seemed anxious not to let me get a word in otherwise after I had explained Dominick's failure to confirm my previous request attempt. Of course, I left my name and phone number on Dominick's voice mail asking for a reply and have not received it.

Hours later, I then called Ross Periodicals and spoke with Holly who basically said that since the magazine was sold they had no responsibility. [That's an incorrect assessment of our legal relationship.] I said I am concerned I may not get the benefit of my paid-for subscription and was there a way to obtain a refund for the remainder of my subscription? She said it wasn't there responsibility. I explained to her my concern and that my three attempts to register an address change were being ignored, she then went off line for a couple of minutes and then offered to take my new address and forward the address change onto the buyer, as she indicated they do from time to time.

I'm posting here because I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the new publisher and if similar problems have been encountered. I'm hoping the nonresponsiveness I've encountered is just the result of a single person, i.e. Dominick, but that, factored with lack of ease to request an address change, the editor, John Lavine, not continuing on, and Ross Periodicals washing their hands of the matter makes me wonder if the new company is simply a dead end.

Jim Becker
11-21-2008, 8:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up, John. Many of us have extended subscriptions to Woodwork and hopefully, the new publisher will smoothly transition things as they take over.

Roger Myers
11-22-2008, 12:05 PM
New Track Media has a home page where they have additional information and contact information... maybe of some use to you.

I hope the content remains on par with what Ross had, but I'm holding off subscribing until I see the new publishers version.

Here is the link to their home page...
http://www.newtrackmedia.com/

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-23-2008, 10:53 AM
try a certified return reciept letter. That usually gets attention.

John Poole
02-27-2009, 11:50 AM
As of last week, I have not received anything. Nor does my visit to the web site of New Track Media produce anything that suggests a recent issue has been published.

http://www.newtrackmedia.com/index.html has "Woodwork magazine" as a link on its page, but the link is broken (the links resolves to : "http://http//www.woodwork-mag.com/"; I tried removing "http//" so the link would be normalized and http://www.woodwork-mag.com/ ends up with "Network Timeout" error.

A "whois" of the domain woodwork-mag.com shows:
Registrars.Registrant:
Scot Frazier
829 Liana Court
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
US

Domain name: WOODWORK-MAG.COM

Administrative Contact:
Frazier, Scot racerx@sonic.net
829 Liana Court
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
US
707-664-1095
Technical Contact:
Admin, Hostmaster hostmaster@sonic.net
2260 Apollo Way
Santa Rosa, CA 95407
US
707-522-1000 Fax: 707-547-2199
So it appear the transfer of the web site has not been effectuated.

I'm a little concerned that New Track Media's other publications are American Woodworker and Love of Quilting. (Had Taunton Press acquired Woodwork Magazine, I'd have a much more positive outlook.)

I'm thinking of demanding a refund of the unused portion of my subscription from Ross Periodicals, Inc., the company I contracted with. They'll probably try to give me the mumbo jumbo of they are not liable (which in my legal opinion they are) and I'll end up going to small claims court; fortunately, I just live 1 hour away from their headquarters.

I have become very dismayed by Ross Periodicals handling of this and believe that their sale of the asset was really an attempt to skirt their liability for the unused portion of the subscriptions; they could have just announced they were going to stop publishing at a certain date and refund any unused subscriptions.

Roger Myers
02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
The new issue is out... I bought it on the newstand about a week ago, and the look and content is the same as what we have been used to for the magazine. Thus far I'm pleased that the editorial direction does not seem to have changed (and in the editor's letter, he indicated it would not, and that there had been a lot of feedback to him on this topic)

Roger Myers
02-27-2009, 11:56 AM
The contact page for newtrack media has a phone number listed... try giving them a call...
New Track Media LLC
Suite 1110, PNC Center
201 East Fifth Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
Tel: (513) 421-6500
Fax: (513) 421-1244

John Poole
02-27-2009, 1:41 PM
I'm going to check my post office box first; if my issue arrived then this matter is closed.

Please keep in mind, I tried calling them three times before and never getting through to anyone (other than a receptionist) or having my voicemails returned -- that was the Cambridge office.

Jim Becker
02-27-2009, 8:34 PM
I received my issue a week or two ago. Same design; just a different editor. So far.

Tom Veatch
02-27-2009, 8:55 PM
I received my issue a week or two ago. Same design; just a different editor. So far.

Don't recall getting an issue recently, but did get a renewal notice today saying I only had one issure remaining on my subscription. I'm cutting back, so it'll go in the burn barrel.

Barry Richardson
02-27-2009, 9:16 PM
I got mine in the mail recently too, after not getting one for several months, it appears that it is a quarterly now, it used to be bi-monthly