PDA

View Full Version : WIA: Bench Planes, with Deneb Puchalski

Al Navas
11-21-2008, 5:26 PM
Hi, all.

I want to share with you this terrific session, which I captured on video and is now available on my blog for dwonload. Deneb Puchalski, of Lie-Nielsen Toolworks, was the leader for this hands-on clinic.

In addition to video I took several photos; the following gives you a sense of the setting:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bench-planes1.png

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bench-planes-2.png

Thanks!

Johnny Kleso
11-21-2008, 6:14 PM
Thanks Again Al :)

Al Navas
11-22-2008, 6:49 AM
You are welcome, Johnny! How are you are feeling these days?

Alan DuBoff
11-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Deneb is a great demonstrator!

Mike K Wenzloff
11-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey Al--Deneb, like Alan wrote, is a great demonstrator. Even more than that, he is such a wonderful person. His demeanor, patience and knowledge really add up to one of the very best people Tom could have representing the company.

Take care, Mike

Johnny Kleso
11-22-2008, 1:44 PM
Hi Al,
Feeling better last few months :)
Had procedure yesterday so I hope that will take me threw the Winter with less pain..

About Deneb,

I have a question to all...
The only thing I seen that made me question his form and doing the Herring Bone Pattern with the scrub plane.. On the second pass he stood at the back of the tail vise and if he had a bigger board would have stood on the far side of the bench..

I only read books and the method I use and dont know where I got but it is to stand at the left end of the front side and work left to right at a 45* for my second pass..The first pass from from right to left..

What method do you all use for your second pass on the herring bone 45* scrub..

Philip Edwards
11-23-2008, 4:54 AM
I think it depends on tear-out. I find that the second wave of shavings sometimes gives me bad tear-out - if so I swap position and do like Deneb did. Otherwise your method is easier.
Hope this makes sense,
Phil

Bob Easton
11-23-2008, 10:57 AM
When using a scrub, or an aggressive cut with a jack, I've found it helpful to let the wood tell me which directions to work. I take a couple of swipes each direction. If there's going to be tearout, I do the work so the forward direction of the plane always moves in the direction of least tearout.

If you can access the board form either side of the bench, work down one side (left to right). Then, go to the other side of the bench and work from the original starting point right to left.

If you can access the board from only one side, work down the board left to right. Then turn the board end for end and work the other pass right to left.

Phillip Pattee
11-23-2008, 9:43 PM
Thanks Al, the videos on your blog are very helpful. I've bookmarked your blog site in my favorites.:)